Saturday 30 May 2015

Cricket tour of Middle England - Part 2

Posted by Tony Hutton  

 The first four nights of my tour were spent at the Premier Inn near the marina and country park in Bedford. Excellent spot for an early morning walk alongside the lake.
I spent Saturday morning exploring the town centre and riverside (the Great Ouse) in Bedford. I had only visited once before some years ago for a Minor Counties game at Goldington Bury.

Before this turns into a Peter Davies travelogue, I should explain that I planned to visit a few scenic village grounds during the afternoon. First headed for the village of Copel, but they only run one team and were playing away. This ground has been used recently for Bedfordshire games. On to Cardington, which I remember well as the base where RAF National Servicemen were kitted out. The two huge aircraft hangers which were built to house the great airships R100 and R101 are still there and look even bigger than I remember. It was almost sixty years ago!

Ickwell cricket ground

Promptly at 1.30 I did find cricket about to start at the attractive village green ground of Ickwell whose second eleven play in the Huntingdonshire county cricket league division four, no less. Their opponents Werrington, from Peterborough, batted first with a largely Asian team reinforced by I assume the Griffin brothers and Shaun Terblanche who sounds like the compulsory South African.

The oak tree within the boundary at Ickwell

The main attraction for me was the actual large village green ground, which contains an enormous 250 year old oak tree, situated in an island well within the boundary, it also contains a bench seat with the best view in the house. If a ball hits any part of the tree it is four runs. To score a six entails a huge hit over the top of the tree. The green is surrounded by attractive cottages and trees and is obviously a very popular venue.

Ickwell village green

After the loss of an early wicket, the visitors piled on the runs, with numbers two and three both getting fifties. I later learned they were all out for 175 and then dismissed the home side for 116. As soon as I was seen taking photographs one of the players asked if I was from the local press. Not so, but a man with a long lens soon appeared to double the attendance.

Then it was on to what I hoped would be the highlight of the day - Southill Park cricket club which is situated on the Whitbread family estate. I was not disappointed.
Having done my homework I drew up at the closed gates to the estate, stopped at the yellow line and waited for them to open, which after a short pause they did. Then first left into the field adjoining the beautiful cricket ground, which I had first seen pictures of over thirty years ago. At last my ambition to visit had been fulfilled.

Southill Park and the Whitbread mansion

Southill Park play in division two of the Huntingdonshire county cricket league (although we are still in Bedfordshire) and were playing Old Eastonians who are based at Rockingham Castle, near Corby in Northamptonshire. Just to confuse you even further Werrington, from the previous match, are based in Cambridgeshire.

Southill Park

Enough of the geography lesson and time to take in the beautiful surroundings. Again I was the only spectator and while doing a lap to take my photographs encountered two members of the home side, who seemed surprised to see me and even more so when they learned I was from Yorkshire. However they provided me with much local information, including the fact they had beaten the same opponents away from home last week. We had an interesting conversation about cricketing matters which ended with an invitation for a drink in the pavilion.

Southill Park thatched pavilion & scoreboard

We returned to the pavilion where the bar was specially opened to provide me with a beer which went down well. I was introduced to the club captain, who turned out to be from Matlock in Derbyshire, where I lived in the early 1970s. I told him I went to Wembley in 1975 for Matlock Town's famous FA Trophy win. Although this was before he was born, he said people still talk about the game to this day. A wicket fell and he had to go into bat. The home side, after a good start, were loosing wickets and the scoring rate did not accelerate as much as they would have hoped.

My two new friends were in at six and seven and had to pad up. Sadly Kashif Bhatti was out for ten and then Nasar Mahmood was out first ball, so I had not brought them good luck. The innings closed after 45 overs with a score of 171-9 which made it a fairly evenly balanced contest, or so we thought.

Rural tranquility at Southill Park

I had other plans for the remainder of the day and felt it was time to move on despite an invitation to stay for tea. I was delighted both with the ground and the hospitality and chat but made my excuses and left. Next day I learned that after Old Eastonians openers had put on over 40, the rest of the side collapsed in dramatic fashion and were all out for just 55. Ricky Chamberlain had the amazing analysis of 9-5-6-5. My new friend Kashif Bhatti bowled just eight balls and took two wickets for no runs. So I missed all this excitement but had enjoyed an excellent visit.

My final stop for today was Ampthill, which at the start of the season was announced as the venue for tomorrow's Minor Counties game between Bedfordshire and Norfolk.

I discovered this had been changed to Luton, so will be going there on Monday. Today Ampthill second eleven were at home to Sandridge this time in the Hertfordshire League division 4B. Having seen pictures of this attractive ground in its parkland setting, I was intrigued by the memorial cross overlooking the ground.

Ampthill Town cricket ground


Having done a lap of the ground I went to the top of the ridge to inspect the memorial which is to the men of the Bedfordshire Regiment killed in World War I above the training camp they used in the bowl which is now the cricket ground. A further surprise on the plateau of the ridge facing east is yet another memorial cross which is in memory of Henry VIII's first wife Katherine of Aragon. This is known as Katherine's cross, as she was sent to Ampthill Castle to live after the annulment of her marriage. Fine views from the top of the hill. Now you have some history to add to the geography lesson.

Ampthill

As far as the cricket was concerned Ampthill had made 179 all out and Sandridge were in hot pursuit after tea and duly won by five wickets with four overs to spare. A very attractive ground, next door to Ampthill Town football ground, and with lovely parkland walks. Hopefully Minor Counties cricket will return here in the future.


No comments: