Monday 20 April 2015

Local hero

posted by John Winn

Like Tony I started the league cricket season with a game in The Nidderdale league, but just a mile from home where I saw history made at Rudgate Fields when Whixley, long time members of the Wetherby League, took the field in a Division 3 Nidderdale match. Relegated Galphay and Winksley, two small villages near Ripon, chose to bat first and made steady progress on an afternoon when the sun shone but the breeze that blew across the Vale of York carried a reminder that it was still April. Whixley sported a new badge on their kit, appropriately a phoenix, rising metaphorically at least from the ashes of their pavilion which was burnt down in an arson attack in 2005. A full account of how the club has moved forward from that event can be found on the village website.

 
Opening day at Whixley
 
After an hour, by which time G and W had reached 50 for 1 off 22 overs I drove to Green Hammerton, just a mile away but here it was Wetherby League cricket, Division 3,  with the local first team entertaining Kirk Deighton A. Hammerton were batting but were struggling at 63 for 5 and not helped by a silly run out they soon found themselves taking early tea at 76 all out, having only batted ten men*. Cue to move on and another short drive to the other Hammerton, Kirk that is, Wetherby League again but a division higher and proceedings in the hands of my umpiring friend, John Fisher. Tea was being taken here too and I scrounged a cup of 'double brickies' and digested the news that 1:00 starts will apply throughout the season in the league in the hope that earlier starts will be preferable to late finishes and there by encourage more participation. An idea worth a try I think.

 
Green Hammerton
 
South Milford had notched up 186 for 7 and although Kirk Hammerton began boisterously I learned from John later that they had been bowled out for 151. Having found a sheltered spot at this attractive ground which is tucked away down a lane that runs down to the River Nidd I was happy to sit a while but having promised myself that I would end up at Ouseburn CC I moved on. My route took me past the Whixley ground where I stopped to learn that the minute my back had been turned Galphay had collapsed to be 69 all out with Pat Greenwood taking 8 for 13 and who should be at the crease but the evergreen Pat, calmly knocking off the runs to give his side a ten wicket win on their first Nidderdale game. Truly a local hero.

While on my second visit to Rudgate Fields I met up with photographer Barry Gill, one of the keenest followers of the blog and who spends many Saturdays recording events on the Nidderdale scene.

To Ouseburn, too late for tea but in time to see the second XI making a very well paced effort to overhaul Birstwith's 204 for 6. This they did with six wickets and seven overs to spare and the signs are that the ground staff at Lightmire Lane, under the direction of Head Groundsman Edward Pearson, will continue to produce excellent wickets on this fast scoring ground. I look forward to many more visits throughout the season

* Kirk Deighton won by 7 wickets

No comments: