Thursday 30 April 2015

BATS AND BEDROOMS 1

By Peter Davies,

BACKSTORY

                    I have been watching Lancashire at Old Trafford for 40 years -an incredible stat-and it is likehome to me.Nowhere, I feel happier or more content. I know a few faces -the eccentric "David from Blackpool ";the guy with the "red rose " hat;the woman from Denby Dale who runs the second-hand bookshop. But I do not have any friends there or sit with anymore. I like my privacy,being on my own,and going through all the rituals I go through. Strange.

ON THE RAILS

                 The coming of the trams have been a god-send. Catching the 252 or 255 buses prevoiusly was always a bit hit and miss. But now the trams are great :clean,regular,safe and not too expensive. Perfect.And OldTrafford station is right next door to the cricket ground.

AFTERNOON ARRIVAL

                  Got the train from Huddersfield at lunchtime and then the tram to Old Trafford. Two days of OT and a night at the Old Trafford Lodge hotel.Met my Dad in the pavilion at 4 pm and had a cup of tea with him.Also showed him my room,which he liked(he has stayed at the hotel before ).

TV TIMES

        Stayed at the hotel several times ,usually the first night of the County Championship match.Nice rooms,big breakfast and a good sitting area with TV. Sometimes I pop into the hotel when I am not staying there-just for a cup of tea and a sit down. I once asked one of the hotel receptionists when the hotel was busiest. She said when Manchester United were at home .( the football  Old Trafford is only half a mile away ). this was so disappointing to hear.

PAPERS AND TICKETS

       The main feature of the hotel are:

- Continental breakfast.
- Free newspapers.
- Sky Sports and Freeview.
-Iron ,ironing board and hair dryer facilities in bedrooms.
-Free car parking.
-Balcony seating .
-Free matchdays tickets.
-Complimentary WiFi

Cost Standard rooms £64/ £69.

GREAT VIEWS

           The hotel has 68 rooms and is situated above one of the stands on the pavilion side of the ground. There are 36 executive bedrooms with a view of the playing area. When I first stayed  at he hotel Iremeber waking up ,drawing back the curtains ,and seeing this enormous Test match ground in front of me. totally surreal experience.

LEEDS RIVAL

      Also stayed at the Headingley Lodge hotel in Leeds. Same concept ,overlooking the Headingley groundand,even it hurts me to say so,it is maybe better than the Old Trafford hotel ( except that at Headingley you have to walk to a seperate refectory to have your breakfast Poor do ).

HOME SOIL
 
I am a big Lancashire fan so Old Trafford is special - and the hotel just adds to it.Lots of good memoirs :great matches ,top players,collecting autographs as a kid. Today was day two of the County Championship match against Kent. Lancashire scored 400 + and Kent were struggling at the close of play :200 -odd for 7. Also bought some books and magazines from the bookstall.

POST- MATCH EVENT.

     The club put on a special Q @ A session at stumps, with new coach Ashley Giles ,other three other LCCC officials answering questions from the floor about any and all aspects of the club : from playing side to sightscreens to heritage policy. All good- a nice exercise in corporate PR.

FUTURE POLICY

    Lancashire have eight home County Championship games this summer, so my policy might be to stay at the hotel one night per match ...

               

No comments: