Monday 21 May 2012

UNEXPECTED MATCH

By Brian Sanderson,

On Sunday I had decided not to go to Maske to see Yorkshire secords due to the rain and cold breeze.As I was leaving Headingley on Sunday night Malcom from Colton mentioned that there was a match at Weetwood on Monday.

As I arrived at Weetwood about 12.30 I found Lancashire seconds were playing a Leeds and Bradford University side. There was no scorecard but I recogniseed Andrea Peter Agathangelou batting and I found later his partner was Andrew Luke Davies. All the records were in the Second Team Annual.

The firstperson to meet me was John Taplin who wanted to now were I had been on Saturday. Malcolm arrived, then Brian Senior and last by Jerry.Lancashire  started quickly. The Leeds captain was Luis Reece who had played for the Unicorns yesterday.The weather was cloundy and the aircrafts landing at the airport just came out of the clounds over the ground.One of the bowler was Andrew Craig Williamson who bowled left-arm spin.He also plays for Derbyshire seconds and  took some wickets today.

We were kept informed about the Test Match from Malcolm,s radio .Cook must have been upset being out with two runs wanting to win the match.Pity Johny Bairstow did not get the winning runs.

We moved to watch the match on the pavilion veranda away from the wind.Everybody thought it was a forty over match but were wrong as it turned into a 50 over match.The Lancashire coaches shouted out in 45 over that there should have been the final powerplay. They were an over wrong.The match started at 12.00 and the final over was bowled at 3.45. Avery slow over rate and the mach would not finish until about 7.30. I left at the interval with Lancashire scoring 261.My next mach would be Rugby League to-night behind the cricket ground.

No comments: