Thursday 17 May 2012

Somerset run riot at no charge

posted by John Winn

Another one of my listed matches and another early start saw me at The Oval gates shortly after play had started in the match between Surrey and Somerset yesterday. This time the sun was shining and the prospects for a full day's play were good. Already in cheerful spirits after a comfortable and hassle free journey down I began to feel it might be my day when a Surrey member gave me a complimentary ticket just as I was about to hand over my £10 note for the one price fits all admission. Expressing my thanks and retrousering the tenner I entered the ground to find that there was a beer festival already in progress: definitely my day!
Somerset had won the toss and Suppiah and Barrow were already making good progress against the hosts who had left Ramprakash out of the eleven after his pair at New Road last week. Barrow, who almost single handed had come close to giving Somerset an unlikely victory at The Riverside on Sunday, dominated the opening stand and when he was caught in the gully for 47 a gentleman behind me who appeared to have made a good start on working his way through the fifty or so ales on offer at the beer festival, broke into a chorus of Molly Malone* (answers at the foot of the page). The wicket was placed towards the gasholder side which made my usual perch in the Bedser stand less attractive so I settled for a seat a few rows in front of the singer, who was already predicting a 'run riot'.
Suppiah was joined by Compton, whose name did not appear on the card, perhaps somebody had anticipated he might be at Lord's, and they were not parted until after lunch when Suppiah was run out for an excellent 106. Last week I saw him dismissed first ball at The Riverside and before yesterday the last four times I had seen him bat he had not reached double figures. Acting captain Hildreth was quickly into his stride and the Surrey attack was made to look very ordinary as runs came throughout the afternoon at close to five an over. Meaker looked the best of the pace quartet bowling with plenty of aggression, but their figures in this morning's paper show that between them the four took 2 for 315. What restraint there was came from Batty and De Bruyn.
Compton, who I would guess has spent more time at the crease this season than anybody else, was lbw in the last over before tea and Hildreth duly completed the second hundred of the day. Progress slowed slightly after I left at 5:15 but by the close Somerset had gained maximum batting points and were 441 for 5. My operatic friend who predicted a run riot had not been far off the mark and  generally around the country it had been a  batsman's day, a distinct change from much of the days that have preceded it since the beginning of April.
Having been unexpectedly given free admission I felt  it would be unchariatble not to patronise the beer festival and enjoyed a pint of 'Ranmore' brewed by The Surrey Hills' Brewery which at a cost of £3 is almost as good as free admission in that part of the world.
I returned by the 19:00 train from King's Cross  and was home shortly after nine feeling I had seen almost a full day of very entertaining cricket. To Headingley today but the weather prospects talk of cloud and light rain and when Yorkshire's turn comes batting may not be so easy. Many there will have half an ear or eye towards Lord's where it seems almost certain Jonny Bairstow will be the next Yorkshire man to make his England test debut. Good luck, Jonny.
* Molly Malone 'wheeled her wheel barrow through streets broad and narrow', get it?

No comments: