Sunday 27 May 2012

Scaling the heights of HD8 (and 9)

For the first time this season I planned a Saturday of league cricket ground visits and with the fine weather  continuing for the I fulfilled a promise I made to myself when considering the season's journeys, namely an excursion to see some Huddersfield Cricket League games, a first for me.
A fifty minute drive from the flatlands of the Vale of York brought me to post code HD8 9PP, the home of Clayton West, promoted to the Premiership this season and still seeking their first win. At an altitude of 322 feet the Back Lane ground is amongst the lowest in the league and is tucked away surrounded by houses and an equestrian centre. Their opponents were Marsden also without a victory in the 2012 campaign and the visitors took first knock on what I  was told by a home supporter was a batsman's paradise. The ground is small, with short boundaries, particularly behind the wicket, and helped by a number of edges Marsden got off to a flying start and were 42 for 1 off 6 overs. These runs were recorded on a traditional scoreboard where the scorers operated 'the tins' by leaning out of the box to alter the total, wickets and overs.I made enquiries before play started as to the possibility of acquiring a league handbook but my spirits fell when I was told there were some 'behind the bar', that Bermuda Triangle of handbooks, and so it proved, there were none.
Remaining within HD8 I next climbed some 300 feet to the Lidgett Lane ground of Skelmanthorpe, where I did acquire a handbook (they are in a cupboard in the kitchen)and even if you do not require a handbook, the kitchen is a must and immediately made me regret that I had had a filling lunch. Pork pies, rhubarb crumble and chocolate cake knocked my tuna sandwich into a cocked hat but I contented myself with a cup of tea.
On walking round the ground I got chatting to a most remarkable man, retired miner Denis Kaye, remarkable in that from his home in Barnsley he has walked to all the grounds in the Huddersfield League, a distance of over 1900 miles.He completed the feat a few years ago when he walked the 28 miles from his home In Kexborough to Micklehurst which has an Oldham postcode and who left the league last year.If I felt in anyway sceptical about the truth of his claims these were quickly dispelled by a press cutting which he pulled from his wallet. An essentially modest (and slim) man 77 year old Denis pointed out that he lived on the Huddersfield side of Barnsley and that he always got a lift home. Cheating really.
 The Skelmanthorpe ground is splendidly appointed and on such a lovely day a good sized crowd had gathered to watch Delph and Dobcross ( one of Denis' longer walks) batting and I was impressed by the home team's keen fielding and athleticism, must be the rhubarb crumble. 90 for 4 when I left D and D rallied to 249 for 9 but lost by five wickets. From here I crossed the postcode boundary into HD9 and Riley Lane, the home of Kirkburton who were entertaining near neighbours Shelley. My arrival here precipitated a collapse of the visitors' lower order and in a short time they went from 117 for 6 to 139 all out. One Shelley player took it upon himself to give one of the umpires some advice ( the nature of which I could only assume related to some LBW decisions): the umpire's riposte was to suggest that he(the complainant) might like to try standing himself.
I had hoped to bump into club stalwart Andy Crookes who I had met at The Pennine Conference in March but although the excellent match programme showed that Andrew and Karen Crookes were the match ball sponsors I did not see him.If you are still a follower of the blog Andy, sorry I missed you. Kirkburton won the match by 3 wickets and with Golcar losing Kirkburton go top of the premiership
For my fourth and last venue of the afternoon I made another short jouirney, this time to Lepton where the Highlanders, a cricket team not a regiment, were playing in yet another local derby against Emley Clarence, a cricket team not a Hollywood matinee idol. Here an entertaining last wicket stand for the home team was being warmly encouraged by some Huddersfield Town supporters who were on short term leave from the club house while their blue and white favourites were taking respite from the heat of Wembley and sucking a lemon or whatever footballers do at half time these days.
 I found this stand entertaining, the Terriers' fans found it hilarious. It proved to be crucial fot it carried Lepton to 219 and Emley fell just 11 short of this total.
Four new grounds behind me I returned home just in time to see the penalty shootout at Wembley. When the unfortunate Blades' keeper missed the crucial kick I swear I could hear the Highlanders celebrating

No comments: