Thursday 24 May 2012

IN THE PRESENCE OF GENIUS

By Brian Sanderson,

Yesterday I returned to York to the second day of the Seconds match.While I was drinking my morning coffee I was joined by Tony Hutton and John Rix.I sat in the shade of the score-box and had a excellent view of the wickets falling.At the start of the day  Yorkshire were two wicket down. Nearly thirty overs later they were all out.Only Eddy Wilson, who was watched by his Grandfather Ray Wilson, and Dan Hodgson shown any idea how to bat. While the innnigs was collapsing I was able to talk to Brian Cobb the poor state of cricket at Bowling Old Lane.

Yorkshire were all out just before 1.00 and the discussion in the scoreboard was wether there soon be another over before lunch and the umpires decided yes.After lunch more wickets started to fall and I left at 3.30  when Yorkshire were 5 for 63 and prospects of lossing by innings. This would be a disappoint for the spectator and the York club who would lose out off another days takings.

In the evening Ron Deaton kindly took me down to Sheffield to hear Sir Gary Sobers talk about his career.At 21 against Pakistan he broke Len Hutton,s Test match  record with 365 not out.To me he is one of my favorite cricketers and was a genius on the cricket field.Brillant evening contrasting to Yorkshire losing in two days to Durham.

No comments: