Monday 28 September 2015

A day to forget

Posted by Tony Hutton

Monday 14th September - Hampshire v Yorkshire (Ageas Bowl, Southampton)

My last day of county cricket this season started well, despite a somewhat unpromising weather forecast. I caught the train from London Waterloo to Southampton Airport Parkway which arrived in good time (I thought) to get me there for the 10.30 start.
However, some years since my last visit, I discovered that the somewhat erratic bus service to the ground only ran once an hour for most of the day.

So I took a taxi which got me there within a few minutes. Then my problems really started. Having remembered the uphill walk to the portakabin type building which serves as a ticket office I still had ten minutes to spare before the start of play. On reaching the office I found that the only occupant, a lady, was busy talking on the phone. So I politely waited, while the queue behind me grew steadily. Eventually I tried to interrupt the telephone conversation to enquire whether tickets for the match were actually on sale or not.

I got a reply of sorts rather brusquely to the effect that ' can't you see I'm on the phone'.
This was communicated to the still growing queue behind me to be met by low muttering to the effect that it was always like this and sympathising that I had come all the way from Yorkshire to be treated thus. Eventually the conversation ended and more politely this time I was informed that membership for next season had opened today and she was having to deal with a lot of enquiries. Perhaps there should be more than one person there to actually sell some tickets was my response.

Once I got the precious ticket in my hand I had to walk back down the hill to the bank of threatening looking turnstiles to gain admission. By this time the wind had got up and it was starting to drizzle with rain. However the players did enter the arena perhaps somewhat reluctantly particularly as Yorkshire, after only one day's rest following the Lord's match and no doubt continuing celebrations, had to field.

It all seemed somewhat familiar when I recalled my previous visit to the splendid Arlott Atrium. I did eventually purchase a scorecard and a cup of coffee, but the whole atmosphere lacked any sort of welcome, making Headingley look positively friendly.

The Arlott Atrium at the Ageas Bowl

Never mind perhaps it was just that end of season feeling and Hampshire were batting and making runs, if only slowly. Even the usually aggressive Carberry was taking his time to settle in along with Adams and I thought it may be a long weary day in the field for Yorkshire. However when the score had reached the seventies Brooks suddenly came to life to dismiss Carberry caught behind and Bresnan removed the dangerous Vince soon afterwards. Things were looking up but not for long - light rain took the players off, but they soon returned.

Four slips for Jack Brooks
 
 

A third wicket fell when the persevering Patterson had Adams caught at slip by Lees for a hard earned 50 and Yorkshire seemed back in the game. It didn't last though and Will Smith and Dawson grafted away for some considerable time, while it got colder and by tea time I had had enough and decided to leave. Rain was still in the offing and in fact the day did end early after only 78 overs with Hampshire on 219-4.

Yorkshire ready for lunch

A very poor crowd but the weather did not help and the game was being shown live in its entirety by Sky Sports. A strange choice for their one token championship game of the season, the game at Lord's would have been much more appropriate. So all in all a day that will not live in the memory, but I can't complain (much) after such an enjoyable week at Lord's.

Sky Sports in action at the Ageas Bowl

So it was off to Paris the following day to visit my family, where I was able to watch the rest of the game on Sky, after almost no play on day 3, the last day providing a contrived finish with Hampshire having to gamble to avoid relegation. Yorkshire however bounced back from the defeat at Lord's to win the game comfortably with a fine century from Gale and 76 from the consistent Leaning, who has had an excellent season. Why no county cap for him yet I wonder.

No comments: