Tuesday 10 April 2012

Washout!

Monday 9 April

Rugby School

My first 2nd XI match for ages, if ever. Northants were playing at home at Rugby and I thought I'd take a trip down there - historic town and also the first day of the new 2nd XI season.

It rained all the way down on the train - and this didn't bode well. The taxi driver found the ground OK - as attractive as you'd expect of a public-school venue.

In fact, there were two grounds right next door to each other. The pavilion was neat and handsome and when I walked in this building I realised that the tea room was actually upstairs rather than on the ground floor. A nice modern interior with players ambling about.

There was going to be a delay until at least 2.30pm - lunch was going to be taken at 2pm - so I got down to some work and some reading. Cups of tea were on tap - and they were also free, which was great. Only one or two spectators but some historic photos and interesting booklets about Rugby cricket in the tearoom area. Nice pavilion and some very helpful RCC people on duty in the tearoom.

Realised too that Ismail Dawood was one of the umpires. I'd spoken to him during the CK project and it was good to chat to him again. Remarkably, he remembered me and we had an interesting conversation about umpiring, his cricket career and Hanging Heaton - his club. He'd been on the reserve/2nd XI umpires panel for 3/4 years and was hoping for elevation to the full list. Nice guy.

The day's play was eventually called off just before 3pm so I got a taxi back to the train station. The first washout of the season! Stopped off in Birmingham to do some shopping and from there home.

A wet and slightly depressing Bank Holiday Monday.

No comments: