Saturday 21 April 2012

More Rain at HQ

Posted by Peter Davies

Friday 20th April

Lord's

Got up very early and popped into my favourite Internet cafe (of all time) to write a few emails and do a bit of blogging. Then bought a cup of tea at a local cafe. Then back to the hotel for some rest.

Then out to the bank and a tube to Lord's - just one stop away.

I keep asking people for hotel recommendations near Lords's - cheap ones - but everyone seems to think I've got a good deal in Baker Street. Maybe I should use this as my base in future?

The weather was looking good at Lord's - about time! I had a sit down and then up to the library to find my friend Neil Robinson - the MCC librarian (great job). I also met Mike (from Cornwall) and Emma, the Taking the Field mastermind. All very ineresting chat.

Popped out for a watch of the cricket - and then back to the library. Then out for lunch and back again. On the Lord's photocopier I was copying club centenary brochures because I want to build up a big collection and add to what I already have. But far too many - so more trips to Lord's planned with photocoying high on the agenda.

Did 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off the copier because it was accident-prone, and then at 5pm I poppped out to watch the cricket. But they went off for rain soon after. Strauss had gone for 0 and they were being rescued by their middle order.

I'm a Middlesex country member and I asked how long it would take to become an MCC member. Not worth bothering about and VERY expensive.

Was not allowed into the pavilion because I wasn't wearing a jacket - par for the course - but tried to get in by walking round the front of the pavilion. But got accosted by the stewards - not a good idea. It started to rain again, then play was called off for the day.

So made my way back to Kings Cross. bought a couple of magazines and got on the train. Good journey, though more head pains. Not good. Home 11.20. Good trip to the Metropolis.

No comments: