Friday 20 April 2012

Contrasting days out

posted by John Winn

The charm of the man! Peter Davies goes to The Oval yesterday and gains access to the library,discovers there is a book sale and makes friends with the librarian to the point where she is prepared to do some photocopying for him. I go the Oval on the same day and am told at 15:55 that if I wait another five minutes I can go in and look at the covers. Having arrived at The Hobbs Gate shortly after eleven at which point sunshine was accompanying a heavy shower, I was informed by the ticket office custodian that it had been 'raining since like Tuesday'(which Tuesday was not specified) but there had been no announcement about prospects of play.At this point the rain intensified and it was clear that there would be no play before lunch so I took the tube back to Pimlico (no passport needed)and passed a couple of hours in The Tate Gallery where by following Surrey cricket on Twitter I received regular reports of the prospects of play.
The reports only added to my frustration for short periods of sunshine brought activity for the grounds staff and the promise of an inspection at 13:40 only for further heavy rain to intervene.The pattern was repeated later in the afternoon with early tea and another inspection at 15:30 which persuaded me that I should return to the ground but on emerging from Oval station I was met by more heavy rain and the news that another inspection was to be held at quarter past four.
Fortress Oval having finally allowed access I was in a splendid position to see the umpires emerge and decide that play should be abandoned for the day and so Surrey v Worcestershire will remain a listed match at least until next month when the two teams will meet at New Road, weather permitting.Forgive my pessimism on this point but fixtures between these two teams have a bit of previous with me. In 1978 I was at New Road to see a John Player match with Surrey the visitors but this was reduced to 13 overs a side because of rain. For the record Worcestershire won by 63 runs with Ormrod their top scorer.
What of today? When I arrived back in York shortly after half past eight yesterday evening it was raining and this morning it is not but the air is dank and the forecast is for more heavy showers so the prospects at Headingley must be gloomy.For tomorrow I had planned an afternoon watching some Wetherby League Cricket but that too must be very doubtful and after seeing Darlington relegated last Saturday I'm not sure I fancy seeing Harrogate Town take a step nearer the same fate tomorrow. Been a grand week.
There was of course no play at Lords yesterday but Peter will be there today and who knows who he will meet. The possibilities are endless, librarian, museum curator, don't rule out Andrew Strauss speaking at next year's Pennine Conference.
ps On Twitter Yorkshire Cricket tells me that nets are up at Headingley and players are preparing for practice, I can feel my spirits lifting!

No comments: