Sunday 17 July 2016

CUE FOR A FARON YOUNG SONG AT CLEETHORPES


By Brian Sanderson,

After a easy drive to Cleethorpes, I was able to purchase a cup of coffee before the match started.

When you go to a cricket match ,I look out for people I know either on the pitch or in the crowd.

On the pitch was James Middlebrooke umpiring in his second season and Jonathen  Tattersall who plays for Harrogate and ex Yorkshire Seconds ( photograph above ). Off the pitch was Mark Fell who is in charge of  Lincolnshire and the Doncaster twins. By the time I sat down in the shade Lincolnshire  had achieved  the wicket of  the Suffolk captain Huggins.

Just before lunch I sat down with the twins who I have known for a few years.Suffolk score at lunch was 90 for 4  and one of the twins said it reminded him of a Faron Young song " Four in the morning " which  I understand was a hit in 1971 but I could not remember it..After lunch I sat with a gentleman who was born in Booth which is a small village near Halifax and as it happens one of my favourite cricket grounds.It turned out he had played cricket and rugby league  and afterwards became a rugby referee and then cricket umpire.We swapped stories during the afternoon. Been while on the field  Suffolk were bowled out for 144.


Just before tea Lincolnshire lost two quick wickets. It was left to  Tattersall and Louth to put on a stand of 152. By the end of the day Louth was 92 not out and Lincolnshire was 33 runs in front with 44 overs still to bat.

The twins said the match would be over tomorrow afternoon  but they  said England would win. The ground is close to the sea front and worth a visit.

No comments: