Sunday 9 June 2013

JUST PLAY CRICKET

By Brian Sanderson,

After a long drive yesterday I decided to stay local and go to see New Farnley against Scholes in Huddersfield .This was the quater final of the Heavy Woollen Cup and this will be Scholes first full match as the rest have been won by a toss of a coin or a bowl out.

I knew Peter France would be there as his grandson was playing for Scholes and he was standing near the pavilion.Above is a photograph of the recently built pavilion.Scholes batted first and was soon two wickets down for very little.The only batsman I knew was Thomas Boorman who I last saw at Undercliffe playing for Yorkshire under 19 and his father as usual was walking round the ground.Soon there were sledging going on between both sides and the umpires had to step in on  a few occasions. By this time David Thorpe had arrived and set next to me and Peter.Both of them are steeped in the Huddersfield Cricket League as they have played and watched  numerous matches in this league.

The wicket was uneven and Scholes did very well to get to 211 and especially as they had been bowled out yesterday for 62 by Hoylandswaine.One of New Farnley,s opening batsman split his webbing in hand  which caused him to go to hospital so causing Farnley to be a batsman short.However they got of to a quick start of 13 of the first over.Cummins and Goddard batted very well to bring the total up to 150. All this time there were arguements going on when they disputed decisions.You do not need this behavior on a cricket pitch.

When the above batsmen were out it was up to Nick Walker to hit a quick 49 to win the match.I enjoyed the company but not the chat on the field. So Farnley are through to the semi-final.

I am going to Lords to see Yorshire playing a Championship match on Tuesday. This will be by first time I will have seen Yorshire in a first-class match at Lords and so hoping for good weather.I will write my report of the match when I get home.

1 comment:

John said...

I have got a varied programme while Brian is away, starting with Minor Counties Cricket at Jesmond tomorrow, a new ground for me. The blog should pass its 40000th hit this week. Thank you for your support especially to our international readers. Spread the word. Thank you, John