Sunday 22 May 2016

Changing times

posted by John Winn

Non cricketing business took me to Darlington yesterday morning but that behind me I went down to Feethams, home of Darlington CC, in plenty of time for a delayed start in their NYSD Premier League match with Stokesley. Spice was added to the fixture by the presence in the visitors' side of former Quakers' professional, Doug Mulholland.

The delay had been caused by a heavy shower and when play got underway Darlington were invited to bat and Mulholland struck twice in the opening overs to leave DCC at 25 for 2. In the Stokesley side were two members of the Weighell family, brothers to James who is making his way in the first class game with Durham. Talking to one of the Stokesley players I was assured that the name was pronounced Wheel, not Whale, see my previous blog. Darlington were indebted to their tail for supporting Pakistani professional Muhammad Saad who made 72 and a final total of 186 for 9 was reached off the 48 allocated overs. The NYSD website this morning shows this was too many for Stokesley who were dismissed for 118 with Connor Whickham taking 5 for 22. Perhaps the best bit of news I can bring to pcws from this match is that Sue Mulholland was ic teas and will be in charge when Durham II play there later in the season. Grown and overgrown men give thanks. Somebody please tell Brian Senior.

From Feethams I made the cross town journey to the Brinkburn Road home of Darlington RA, a club who despite being members of the NYSD since 1914 and with three league titles to their name, have fallen on hard times in recent years and now only run one Saturday side. To fill the vacant Saturdays a new club, West Park RA, has stepped in and it was their Darlington and District League Div C match with Aldborough St John II that had tempted me to the ground yesterday. West Park were formed during the winter and yet are carrying all before them this season. Such was the case yesterday for they were batting and making good progress against the village side, progress which led them to 214 for 5 to which Aldborough could only muster 43 in reply. The West Park players I spoke to seemed a little suspicious of my enquiries as to their origins, but I did learn that they have recruited a number of players from another fairly new outfit, Stockton based Oxbridge CC. My enthusiasm for their initiative is slightly tempered by the thought that the pool of players available is finite and that their loss might be someone else's gain. Shouldn't be too churlish however for it would be a shame if a ground with NYSD amenities stood empty on alternate Saturdays and WPRACC stand top of the league this morning.


                                                            Brinkburn Road ground


Out of town to the village of Hurworth for my next game and to a ground on which I watched my father play in the early fifties and where I last played in 1972. Rockcliffe Park are another ambitious club and have this season been accepted into the NYSD leaving their thirds to carry the banner, and at times the can, in Div A of the Darlington and District. As part of their elevation Rockcliffe have a three year plan to improve facilities, one aspect of which is the erection of a new scoreboard (see above).
Cockerton I were the visitors yesterday and after the loss of a wicket in the first over recovered to total off 184 for 3 off 25; the match had been rain affected but I was surprised by its start being as late as 3:30. The ground here has changed little, although more traffic passes through the park on its way to the adjacent five star hotel than in the past and I enjoyed half an hour in pleasant sunshine while CCC set about the bowling. Although only losing three wickets the hosts fell 74 short.

 From Hurworth it is but a ten minute drive to the village of Barton near Scotch Corner and the Church Lane home of another club who had expressed ambitions towards entering the NYSD but withdrew their application. This was another ground I had not seen since last playing there in 1972 and had been told I would find it improved beyond all recognition, and how right my informant was. A new pavilion has been built, and grand it is too, and the square turned through ninety degrees. I was convinced that the playing area was larger but was assured by fine leg that it was not. A lovely surprise was to meet up with two people who remembered me from my playing days and we whiled away half an hour recalling our younger days. The match in progress was another Darlington and District Div A, something of a local derby too for visitors East Cowton had not travelled far. They were batting and had 195 for 4 on the board by tea but Barton knocked these off with six down and two overs to spare, a result which puts Barton on top level on points with leaders Haughton. Cockerton are third, a good start after promotion from Div B.


No comments: