Monday 28 April 2014

Too many games conceded

Posted by John Winn

Good to see Brian yesterday. All the results for the first round of The Royal Club Championship, to give it its Sunday name are available at the ecb play cricket site and disappointingly there are ten matches that have been settled by  teams conceding. One such is the game between Easingwold and Richmondshire and yet when I checked the Easingwold website at lunchtime yesterday it was still listed under fixtures. When I arrived at Easingwold the covers were on and I was informed by another disappointed spectator that the game would be played next week. Apparently not if the ecb website is correct.

Fortunately a few miles down the A19 at the ever hospitable Clifton Alliance there was cricket and NEPL champions Stockton had won the toss and were batting. They  were a little under strength but managed 221 all out with the last wicket falling in the 45th over. Brian has described how Clifton struggled at the start of their innings and they eventually fell 97 short. Stockton will play South Northumberland in the next round. The Gosforth based club got through because opponents Knaresborough Forest were amongst those who conceded. Let's hope that nobody was too inconvenienced by the cancellation of a fixture that had all the signs of being a massive mismatch.

In my posting yesterday I expressed my frustration at the difficulties I was experiencing with the Nidderdale League website. I am somewhat relieved to find I am not the only one for a lengthy apology appeared yesterday and work is in progress to fix the problem.

No comments: