Thursday 3 April 2014

THREE DAYS AT HEADINGLEY

By Brian Sanderson,,

I have had a busy three days at Headingley and my cricket has started.The photograph above is of the scoreboard with the new sponsors.The players did not have the new sponsors name on their shirts.

I was joined by my nephew from Melbourne for the first day and we sat in the sun in the afternoon enjoying the cricket. In the evening I did a talk at the Northern Cricket Society about the 1914 season and  the death of Major Booth on the Somme on the 1 July 1916.

Second day I was joined in the morning by Mr and Mrs Dodgson from Cumbria who brought some photographs of the 1948 Australian advertising Moss Brothers in Leeds.
The photograph above shows Keith Miller, Sam Loxton, Ron Saggers and Arthur Morris trying on different hats.In the afternoon I sat in the LongRoom to watch the cricket as it was to cold to sit out side. Lyth and Ballance got their centuries for  Yorkshire  with the match finishing early for bad light.

Next day after obtaining Lyth , Ballance and Hodgson signature on a scorecard , I met Peter Davies  who first started this web site. Great to see him in good health. Also arrived was Howard Clayton, the  Yorkshire second team scorer who was delivering the Second Team Annuals which he produces.This box tells you about the bacground to Second Team players which is very usefully when watching second team cricket.
Beenwhile Bairstow went on to score 123 and Yorkshire were bowled out for 454.The main wicket taker beening Mac Queen with 4 for 116.

The annual states that he has played for Surrey,Hampshire and Northants so for a 21 year old cricketer he has a lot of experence,The weather was cold again and watched the cricket from the Long Room. There was good company with John Winn  and Tony Hutton so the cricket talk was good.

I left at tea time with Leeds at 63 for 2 with Gubbins  and Vanderspar not out.It was very dark and I had to collect my car . The car required a service to get ready for the mileage I will travel in the next few months subject to the weather.
The final photograph is Hassett the Australian captain trying on another hat and smoking. How things have changed.At least  the computer has allowed me to put three photographs on the site after last week trip to Sheffield.



No comments: