Friday 12 July 2013

VISITORS FROM AUSTRALIA

By Brian Sanderson,

David Thorpe e-mailed me on Monday to say that Golcar X1 were playing Newcastle Cavaliers to-day at 1.30.Among the Golcar side was Eddie Wilson who had been Yorkshire Second  wicket-keeper in the last four days.

The Australians were batting as I arrived and soon Peter Dibb joined me in the shade.Peter still plays cricket eventhough he is in his 70,s and will be playing tto-morrow for Penquins at Silcoates School.After awhile Peter France joined us  so I was in the middle of knowledge of Huddersfield cricket.The highlight of the first session was a brillant stumping down the legside.It is good as any stumping this season.The Australians scored over 240 runs in the fifty overs.The bowling was gentle  and the young Australian side made the most of it.

At tea-time I helped to roll the pitch and David very kindly  bought me a excellent tea.The Golcar opening batsman was soon out to a excellent catch.The Australian bowling was also gentle a number of balls found the nearby gardens.Eddie Wilson came in at number four and was still batting as I left.They had scored 140 for 2 in 27 overs so Golcar should win the match.

A excellent  brochure shows that they will be travelling to London were they will be playing Ealing on Monday.All the very best for all the party while they are in England.

No comments: