Thursday 4 July 2013

GEOFF BARKER SIGHTED AGAIN

By Brian Sanderson,

The forecast was the weather would be better in the East of Yorkshire so I went to Castleford rather than Gargrave were the Two Counties were playing. John has done a blog on them this week.The match I went to see was 40 Club against Yorkshire Senior Schools in a 40 over match which started at 2.00P.M. The 40 Club as stated on its web-site is  the largest amateur cricket club in the world.It was set up in 1936 to take cricket to the schools and they  play 130 fixtures this season.

I arrived early and had my lunch watching the players warm up. The first person I regonised was Geoff Barker who was the captain of the 40 club.I first met Geoff at Arthington were cricket is played until the second week in October.He plays for Horsforth Old Park, Yorkshire  Gentlemen and any other side who is short of a  player. He has been playing cricket for over 40 years and he will quote the number of runs he has scored and wickets taken in his career.

Yorshire Schools batted first against the fast bowling of  Jack Hartley who I last saw at the Bankfoot v Bradford and Bingley cup match. See my blog The match that never was.About this time I took the above photograph when Brian Senior,on the right, arrived at the match.

Half way through the innings I had a chance to talk to Howard Cooper ex Yorkshire player. He is involved in the 40 club and had brought three players fron Killinghall club who play in the Nidderdale League.We watched a left arm chinaman bowler bowl against the Schools.This is a very rare event for this type of bowler to be seen in a competitive match. Howard said the last time he saw this type of bowler was Gary Sobers at Trent Bridge when Yorkshire were playing Nottingham.

The Schools scored 191 in the 40 overs with a number of batsmen declaring their innings. After tea Geoff Barker opened the innings and I was entertained for forty-five minutes before I went home. Geoff had scored about 12 in that time.Brian Senior stayed behind to watch him and promised me he would let me know how many runs Geoff scored.



No comments: