Monday 6 June 2011

Numerous nervous nineties

Posted by Tony Hutton

Unlike John Winn, the continuing winds put me off travelling far from home on Saturday. During a brief stop at windy Weetwood, where Yorkshire Academy were playing Doncaster Town, the omens did not look good as the Academy were bowled out for only 134.

I moved on down the road to Kirkstall where the home side were batting against Green Lane and doing pretty well too. Joe Gibson the left handed opening bat, who made fifty at Adel last week, looked certain to make a century but was unfortunately dismissed for 93. Kirkstall were eventually all out for a respectable 255 and Green Lane apparently held on for a losing draw at 250-8.

Gibson's dismissal made me realise that I had already seen the former county player, Ian Fisher, dismissed for 97 here last Wednesday, playing for Leeds Met University.
Then at Todmorden on Friday James Ord of the Unicorns was out for an identical score.

I moved on for my first visit to the tiny Myrtle Inn ground at Meanwood who were playing Hepworth Idle in the Dales Council League. True to form as I arrived, many of the players were engaged in searching for the ball in the neighbouring fields.
The visitors were already 200-2 on this high scoring ground, with about 12 overs left.

One of the batsman turned out to be former Leeds Rugby League favourite, Paul Medley, who was hitting the ball far and wide, before he too fell victim to the nervous nineties and was clean bowled for 90. The curse continued! Hepworth Idle's score of 270-6 in 45 overs looked impregnable, but after I had returned home to get warm again, Meanwood knocked them off with four wickets and nine balls to spare.
I wonder how many balls they lost during the day !

No comments: