Monday 20 June 2011

Back home

Posted by John Winn

Circumstances prevented me leaving home early enough this morning to make it worthwhile going to The Riverside so I opted for a visit to Feethams for the SET match between the two second elevens. By the time I arrived Yorkshire were in a bit of a pickle but thanks to an unbeaten ninth wicket partnership of 52 between Wainwright and Blain they reached a respectable but not formidable total of 154. Durham lost early wickets but Ben Harmison, whose career has stagnated over the last couple of years, made an undefeated 82 at more than a run a ball and assisted by Michael Richardson knocked off the runs with more than six overs to spare.
As Brian has mentioned I introduced him to Ray Parker who has been spending a few days with his son who lives near Northallerton. Ray worked on The Northern Echo in the 1970s and lived in South Terrace, the street that overlooks the Feethams ground.
He had a copy of the Newcastle daily paper 'The Journal' which I was surprised to find had excellent coverage of Teesside and Darlington local cricket including Saturday's results and tables in the Langbaurgh League and believe it or not, The Co-operative Funeral Care Cleveland League. Last one to complete all the grounds in that league is a sissy.I had met Ian Cockerill briefly for the first time last week when he turned up to the deserted field at Pudsey Congs but it was good to have a longer chat with him today. Not one to miss an opportunity he intended to see a game at Barnard Castle on his way back to Lancaster this evening.
At the moment my favoured destination for tomorrow is The Riverside where Durham's enterprising batting today has set up an interesting fourth day but Feethams is a special place for me. I first saw cricket there about sixty years ago, and the splendid lunch is a major attraction. As I type this it is raining so a final decision will be left until the morning.

No comments: