Sunday 19 June 2011

better luck this time

Posted by John Winn

Followers will be pleased (I hope) to hear that this weekend I have been to three cricket grounds and that on each occasion, on my arrival cricket was in progress and moreover continued throughout the time I was there.
On Saturday despite overnight rain and some light stuff during the morning I made my way via the Aldwark toll bridge over the River Ure to Alne where the neat ground is tucked away up a lane through a farmyard. For the second week running Ouseburn were playing the team second in the league and were batting against some shrewd Alne bowling. Uffindall was out just before I left after twenty overs but Ouseburn went to win convincingly with once again Jamie Bryant top scoring. Thus Ouseburn increased their advantage at the top of Division One.
From Alne I came back 'over the water' to Ouseburn where the second eleven were hosting West Tanfield. Ouseburn made 230 for 4, three run outs and a stumping accounting for the dismissals.The afternoon weather improved until it was a pleasure to sit on the splendid viewing platform and watch a partnership between Steve Day and Henry Lord which for a while threatened to add to the number of run outs but went on to ensure a competitive total for Ouseburn. When I left at six o'clock West Tanfield were 40 for 2 and when stumps were drawn were still 38 behind, giving a five point win to the home team.
On Sunday I had hoped to go to St George's Rd Harrogate to see an ECB National Club KO match between Harrogate and Chester-le -Street but wet run ups and footholds delayed the start and when I telephoned at 1:30 there was still not total confidence that the game go ahead and after my misfortunes at Marske and Pudsey last week, discretion overtook valour and instead I went to York to see a Yorkshire League KO game against Barnsley.Access to the Total Cricket Scorer website told me that this game was in progress. The South Yorkshire visitors had gone off at almost six an over.Having been hauled in by York's spinners they recovered mainly through a partnership of 91 between Wilkinson and Wilson to reach 217 for 5, at which point a total of 240 did not seem out of the question. The run out of Wilson however was the catalyst for a collapse in which Barnsley lost their last five wickets for twelve runs to be all out in the forty ninth over.York's openers began slowly but anchored by Duncan Snell, who was unbeaten on 100, York finished winners by seven wickets.
Lots to look forward to this week and some awkward decisions to take, especially if the weather remains changeable, which seems likely.Two more days to go at The Riverside, four days second team cricket at Darlington and Wednesday will see me, come what may,off to Edgabston for one of my 'listed matches', this time Warwickshire against Somerset.The forecast is a little uncertain but the train tickets are advance purchases so there's no turning back. At least I will be able to report on the progress of the building works.

No comments: