Wednesday 15 June 2011

Not again!

Posted by John Winn

Tony Hutton kindly phoned me this morning to let me know that the game between Leeds Met and Loughborough had been moved to Pudsey Congs following serious vandalism at Kirkstall. Thinking that this might be a better option than the game at Weetwood between Leeds/Bradford and Cambridge Universities I drove over to Pudsey arriving just after one o'clock to find the sunlit ground deserted.For this to happen once to somebody in a week might be deemed unlucky, for it to happen twice might be deemed unprintable. A man working on the scoreboard roof informed me that Loughboro' had refused to play on the hastily prepared wicket.
This indeed was the case as I was informed by Tony and Brian Sanderson and anumber of other pcws when I arrived at Weetwood and by some strange quirk in the regulations the match will now be played at Loughborough on Friday.
At Weetwood Cambridge were batting and after a good start gradually lost wickets with each dismissal seemingly increasing their dissatisfaction with one of the umpires. Frequent showers interrupted play and when the rain returned at 4:30 heavier than before a number of us gave up on the day with Leeds/Bradford poised for victory. By the time I reached home the rain was very heavy and if conditions were similar at Leeds then the game would have been washed out.

My next scheduled cricket is at The Riverside on Saturday. The forecast is not good. Watch this space.

No comments: