Tuesday 14 June 2011

Ices on the cake

Posted by John Winn

At 12:59 yesterday I phoned Windy Hill Lane, the ground of Marske CC who play in the NYSD league and was delighted to hear that the game was in progress. For the first time in twelve years Marske were hosting a Yorkshire II fixture: this time against Derbyshire in the SET. Just after three o'clock I arrived at Marske Station, the penultimate stop on the line from Middlesbrough to Saltburn. On my walk to the ground I checked with a passer by that I was heading in the right direction. He assured me that I was but that if I wanted to watch cricket I might as well go back to the station for the game had been abandoned after eight overs, the picture having been declared too dangerous for play to continue.
Having gone that far I decided to visit the ground where the club and the local community had worked very hard to put the game on. Ironically the sun was shining and a warm drying breeze blew across the attractive ground. The field was deserted but the bar was busy and I was told that there had been a good crowd for the little play that was possible.
It was a frustrated blogger who made his way back home but my spirits lifted when I heard that the forecast for today was excellent and that I could head to Stamford Bridge without any fear of another disappointment. When my friend Dave Masterman and I arrived at 10:45 an excellent crowd was already in attendance and looking forward to seeing Yorkshire bat, this time in a three day game against Derbyshire.
I took the opportunity before play started to have a word with the Derbyshire coach who confirmed that the umpires had made the right decision at Marske, the pitch had indeed been volatile where water had seeped under the covers during Sunday's heavy rain.
Nothing like that today when the two Joes, Root and Sayers, opened for Yorkshire. For Sayers, who looked out of touch, the stay at the wicket was a short one but young Root who has impressed so many this season with his determined approach to batting in four day cricket and who seems to love the Low Catton Road ground had by mid afternoon reached his century, ably supported by Alex Lees who fell just short of his. Root will no doubt be part of Yorkshire's top order at Chester-le-Street on Saturday, who will be with him is, I suggest,in doubt.
Yorkshire matches at Stamford Bridge are I suspect for many supporters something they look forward to from the moment the fixtures become available. We were there in droves today and as ever the local club provided myriad delights for our enjoyment, tombola, raffle, food, a good batting strip, an outfield that showed no signs of Sunday's deluge, and as Leonard Sachs might nearly have said,'Our very selves'. I sat with Dave and three friends from Headingley and in the lunch interval had a word with fellow blogger, Brian Sanderson. All of which has wiped out yesterday's frustration. I even managed to get one of 'Paul's Ices' without queueing, now that was an achievement.Dave and I left at tea but many stayed on and who can blame them?

No comments: