Sunday 29 May 2011

Wuthering Heights

Posted by John Winn

wuthering (adjective) of the wind, to make a roaring sound (Old Norse)

I spent yesterday afternoon watching cricket on grounds that I had not visited before in the Bradford area. En route to Gomersal, by chance I saw a sign for Birstall CC and found a Yorkshire Central League Premier Division game in progress with Hunslet Nelson, the visitors batting. The few spectators were mainly watching from their cars to avoid the strong wind. Hunslet were making good progress and setting a target of 289 won by 20 runs.Next to Gomersal for their Bradford league game with Pudsy St Lawrence and what a game. PSL openers were putting the home spinners through the mangle and their partnership was not broken until it had reached 160 and the team went onto total 344 for 7, even this was not enough as Gomersal knocked off the runs with an over to spare.
Next stop Spen Victoria and a second eleven local derby with Gomersal. I was indebted to the two young scorers for updating me and when the sight of my notebook made them think I might be a reporter I explained about the blog and gave them the website details. I hope they have managed to find this posting. Another win for Gomersal here and definitely ground of the day. The Heavy Woollen Cup final will be held here in July,what an attractive venue it will provide.
Another short journey, this time to Highmoor Lane and the well appointed ground of Hartshead Moor but can their be any ground where the sound of motorway traffic is more intrusive? I had a chat with one of the few spectators braving the wind and noise and he could recall playing here before the M62 was built, how much pleasanter an experience that must have been. Yesterday I thought I heard a cry for Heathcliffe but it was an appeal for caught behind that was turned down. The umpire could not possibly have heard a snick above the roar.Hartshead's opponents were Morley who went on to win the match.
To complete my wanderings I went to Scholes where Scholes A were playing a YCL match against New Farnley A. I was just in time to see a lively last wicket partnership bring the visitors to 199 all out. The league website tells me that Scholes won by four wickets.
At all five of these grounds the strong wind marred my enjoyment.When T.S. Eliot wrote about April being the cruellest month he was not describing this year. We were spoilt in the first month of the season and May has reminded us what cricket watching can be like in the north in early summer.
As usual before going home I called at Ouseburn CC where the seconds were playing Killinghall II and to my surprise found I was the match ball sponsor! Surprised not because I had not agreed to do it but because I thought I had nominated a game later in the season. Jeff Gill, the groundsman, told me that on Thursday afternoon the ground had ben flooded by a thunderstorm and then covered in hailstone. No sign of that yesterday when, keeping up their good form, Ouseburn won comfortably with opener Ben Jones, who was bowled first ball for the first team last week, getting 95 not out.





































































































No comments: