Saturday 14 May 2011

Gentlemen short of players

Posted by John Winn

Following a tip from Brian Sanderson I today made my way to Escrick Park, a few miles south of York, for a noon start in the match between The Yorkshire Gentlemen and Dragons CC. Pitching up about ten minutes after the scheduled start I was surprised to find there was no play. On enquiry this was because some of the home team had not arrived. I was, however, made to feel very welcome with coffee and biscuits and given a copy of the YGCC fixture card, The delay gave me the opportunity to look at the extensive display of team photographs that line the pavilion walls, dating back to 1908. The Gentlemen will celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2013 and it gives some idea of the club's origins to say that for the first 100 years of their existence all their presidents were either lords or knights. The rot set in in 1970 when they appointed an esquire and that has been the case since that time.
Play did get under way about 12:30 with The Dragons ( who are London based) struggling against the YG attack. It was something of a surprise when after about 20 minutes three fielders who unbeknown to me had been subs were replaced by the genuine article. Given the distance The Dragons had travelled and the fixture list of 'The Gents' the quality of the cricket was rather disappointing but the fixture list includes The Free Foresters and other well known nomadic sides and I will certainly visit this lovely ground again.
From Escrick I made the short journey to Cawood for a York Senior League Div 6 game between Cawood and the East Yorkshire based Londesborough Park II. The hosts were batting and when I left were struggling at 26 for 5. A Londesborough Park source, i.e. third man, told me that they had won all their previous games this season but this was in spite of poor batting. Their bowlers were certainly doing the business here.
Leaving Cawood I went back to York to see Dringhouses II aginst Pocklington II. Dringhouses' ground is close to York Racecourse and on one side is bordered by the East Coast mainline about a mile out of York station. Not a ground on which I would wish to play or watch. As I left, Pocklington lost their first wicket with the score at 91.
One more call in York took me to Acomb, another second team fixture with opponents Woodhouse Grange II in the fourth division of the York League. Some sharp turns required to find this pleasant oasis in a built up area and the play demonstrated a step up in quality from Div 6.
Time to get nearer home and 4:30 saw me at Ouseburn CC where the second eleven were taking on Rainton. Nice timing, for Ouseburn were just finishing their innings, posting a score of over 200 and I enjoyed the shelter of the pavilion from the cold wind that had blown on all the grounds I had visited. A cup of tea and a piece of chocolate cake and some good conversation with Ouseburn's regular supporters rounded off an interesting afternoon.

No comments: