Wednesday 25 May 2011

QUARTET OF STUMPERS

By Brian Sanderson,

I must first of all apoligise to Caverley Cricket Club ,they beat Kirkstall on Sunday eventhough I thought they would not.Wrong again.

On Tuesday we had a trip down to Barnsley again to see the Academy against Derby.Barnsley ground is situated on Shaw Lane and has attracted five first class matches.The club it,s self was formed in 1862.Information found on the excellent club web-site.

After my cup of coffee I met my first stumper Simon Guy who had kept at Liverpool and was now coaching the wicket-keepers at the match.A full collection of professional cricket watchers in force including Blackpool Ken who had set out at 7.30.

Yorkshire batted first with Lees and Geldart.Behind the stumps was Harvey Richard Hossein who looked 12 but was infact 15.His height was about 5 foot but he kept very well.Geldart was again in good form and scored a excellent 77.The surprise to me was George Ross who scored a excellent 100.It is the best innings I have seen him play.
Coming in five was Edward Wilson who is the Golcar wicket-keeper.Alex Lilly helped Yorkshire to reach 322 for 7 in the fifty overs.

There was a cold strong wind blowing again and had to sit next to the wall for pretection.The final keeper was Barney Gibson who had his first class debut at Durham .One of the new bowlers I had not seen before was Alex Leyshon who comes from Wakefield. He had taken four wickets for the Academy on Saturday.He bowls left arm spin and took one wicket to-day.

I left at 4.15 with Derby three wickets down for about 80.Looking at Yorkshire web-site to-day Derby was bowled out for 200 with Ross taking three wickets.

No comments: