Sunday 29 May 2011

INTERNATIONAL MATCH AT LAWN LANE

By Brian Sanderson,

When I left home at lunch-time the rain was starting to fall and when I reached New Farnley ground at Lawn Lane it became heavier.As it happen I brought a book lent to me by Blackpool Ken which passed away the time until the rain stopped.The book is called Cricket North South divide by Jim Carnegie.I would recommend it.

New Farnley were playing Batley who consisted of eleven Pakistani,s.In the last round they had scored 326 for 3 with Asif Hussain scoring 215 however he was no longer at the club and was playing elsewhere.New Farnley batted first and put on a opening stand of 72 .Joe Suggitt scored 56 and Mathew Good scored 33.

At one stage New Farnley were 148 for 5 however they struggled to 199 in the forty overs.Arman Hussain talked to me during the match and said they would be happy to chase under 200.He said they were four players short from their full side and struggled to have eleven men.During the innings Zubour Karolia had to give the wicket-keeping gloves to his father Sadik Karolia as he was injured.

During the break I went back to the car to read my book.It was nice in the sun but again there was a strong wind blowing.

Batley soon lost wickets including Arman Hussain who batted four and got a duck.
The spinners of New Farnley Ian Fisher,ex Yorkshire and Gloucester, and Davis Mc Cullum took the wickets. Fisher bowled 8 overs for 13 taking two wickets.Batley were all out for 124 including 28 wides.

So New Farnley go forward to the third round of the Jack Hampshire Trophy.Next match for me is Hove.

No comments: