Saturday 10 July 2010

Sunday 4 July

Posted by Peter Davies

A tour of cricket grounds between Huddersfield and Halifax. First up Elland, one of our favourites. Stones were the visitors in the Halifax League Sunday Section. It was all very low-key and subdued, with the Stones players waiting to bat just in front of the pavilion. I had a quick word with Peter McConnell - a very chirpy and friendly guy - and I sent my regards via him to David Normanton. I bought Dad a drink and we watched the game from a bench in front of the pavilion.

Then we moved on to Outlane, where there were lots of spectators enjoying the Sunday sun. But it was incredibly windy, as befits a ground on the hard shoulder of the motorway. We had a cup of tea - the last customers in the kitchen - and sat outside. Lots of spectators enjoying the game and the weather - and the club's decking was a big hit with the locals.

Then, finally, Rastrick. Verywindy, again, but also sunny. We sat in front of the famous hill and then had a wander to the pavilion, where I had a £1 plate of sandwiches - cheese and egg. The tea lady was almost apologetic that she had to charge me. The bar was busy and as ever there was lots of banter in and around the clubhouse. I like Rastrick - always friendly and a ground with many interesting features.

No comments: