Tuesday 20 August 2013

Spin the key for Peakites

posted by John Winn

Whilst  Brian was at the match which decided the Northern Group and saw Lancashire through to a semi final which I understand will be at Alderley Edge next Tuesday I made the easy journey up the A19 to Acklam Park, the home of Middlesbrough CC and a 'dead rubber' game in the group between Durham II and Derbyshire II.

I mentioned in yesterday's posting that when I last visited the ground it was to see Yorkshire in action. Strictly speaking that was misleading for I was actually there two years ago but after heavy overnight rain no play was possible on that occasion. The time I referred to when I did see some play was in August 1967 when, with my father, I was part of a large crowd on the second day of a championship match with Warwickshire. A nice touch was that one of Yorkshire's team that day was in attendance yesterday, namely John Hampshire. Assessing umpires I suspect.

To yesterday's business and Derbyshire batted first and getting off to a good start maintained a scoring rate of five an over and finishing with a flourish made 225 off their forty overs. I had had every intention of recording some details of the game but as I had been joined by two close friends, Alan Pinkney and Peter Sixsmith, the first occasion that the three of us had had chance for a yarn for quite some time, my attention was more absorbed by the conversation than by the cricket.

During the lunch interval I had a chat with the Allens* West pcw, Frank Siddle who introduced me to a whistleblower who was able to bring me some news from Jesmond. Frank and I will meet again at The Riverside on Thursday.

The Durham coach, Alastair Maiden, felt that his charges were 'in the game' and openers Clark (J) and Singh made a positive start but the introduction of spin brought Singh's attractive innings to an end. I was actually watching at that point and can confirm he was bowled and that for the next few overs spin at both ends put Durham behind the clock and left them needing something close to ten an over. Wickets fell in the pursuit and the innings perished abruptly with the last three going down in successive balls, the final one to a run out. A good win for Derbyshire and the two sides will return to the excellent facilities at Acklam Park today for a SEC match. Should you be thinking of going then I suggest you leave the picnic hamper at home for there was splendid fare provided for spectators after the players had had lunch yesterday.

Turning to the Minor Counties and late last night news leaked out of Jesmond that Cambridgeshire had beaten Suffolk and thus were confirmed as winners of the MCCA Eastern Division and although Suffolk gained their expected victory over Cumberland it is Cambridgeshire who will host the final against Cheshire, who despite only drawing with Shropshire, top the Western Division with a three point margin over Wales.

To Todmorden this morning by train. The picnic basket is having a day off.

* I have checked and to my surprise there is no apostrophe.

No comments: