Saturday 17 August 2013

RAIN WINS

By Brian Sanderson,

I had wanted to go to the Saddleworth League to-day but the weather forecast put me off so I went to Burley.They had won the Cup-Final on Sunday in a low scoring match. againt Beckwithshaw.The forecast was showers so Burley is a close ground to visit and they were playing Kirkstall Education which is my closest league club.As I arrived sitting on the bench outside the pavilion was Dave Hodgson who is the groundsman at Kirkstall and artist of talent.It is worth going to Kirkstall web-site and click on Dave blog.This will give you an insight of the work he does.Also he is always worth listening to about cricket.

Burley batted first and soon lost three wickets for one run.A batsman called Brown came to the wicket to score the best league hundred I have seen for along time.I was told he joined the club from Olicanians last year.From the start he hit every ball in the middle of the bat and his shot selection was excellent.The photograph above shows him after he had scored his hundred however the next ball he was caught brillantly on the boundry edge.Burley scored 190 but the rain came down at tea-time.

I decided to have a early Saturday night but it was worth the visit to Burley to see the century.A photograph above  is of a new seat at Burley in celebration of a player father life and his association with the Burley club.

No comments: