Sunday 11 August 2013

Nightmare on Ewart Street

When I first moved to Yorkshire in the early years of the twenty first century and before I knew my Nidderdale from my Langbaurgh and even longer before I became apprenticed to the worthy guild of pcws, I visited some grounds in the Bradford League. To a newcomer this was the Yorkshire League and for one whose boyhood hero was Sir Leonard how could I not wish to pass through the gates that carry  his name at the St Lawrence ground?

Over the years I have chipped away at the list of clubs that make up the two divisions, and these change but rarely, to the point that after yesterday's ramblings only Brighouse has been spared a visit. I had begun the day at Scratcherd Lane the home of Morley CC but it is the remarkable events that I saw at the Ewart Street ground of Great Horton that will remain in my mind. Great Horton had their glory days in the first decade of the last century and success has been elusive since the Edwardian era and before and after yesterday's games they filled last place in the second division. In 2012 they  survived a vote to expel them from the league for failing to fulfil fixtures and this morning their record for the season reads played twenty one, lost twenty one. Hard times indeed, but they can have had few more chastening afternoons than yesterday's.

I arrived at the ground at twenty past two to find the players at tea and was informed by a spectator that 'we' were all out for 49 and to my enquiry as to who 'we' were he replied 'Great Horton, of course'. Opponents New Farnley duly began their reply and ten minutes, sixteen balls, three sixes and seven fours later it was all over. 52 for 0 from two overs and four balls brought victory for New Farnley by ten wickets. Nick Walker probably got best value for his match fee for he was on the field throughout the game taking three for twenty five and hitting 32 not out. The effect of this was to send me on my way to Windhill CC rather sooner than anticipated. 

Windhill's ground is in Busy Lane, Shipley and I may not be the first to pull out a corny pun based on that address but so what, for on my arrival Bankfoot's batsmen were indeed busy lambasting the home team's bowlers to all parts. Chief destroyer was Aaquib Uppal with 126 not out in a total of 282 for 2. After an excellent  cup of tea from the basement tea room I watched Windhill make a positive start but the loss of early wickets made their prospects of victory very unlikely and the excellent league website this morning shows they were bowled out for 110.

Speaking of websites the ECB now seems to have got its act together regarding the U17 County Championship and updated the league tables. In Division 1A Durham top the table and a decent return from their game at Hartlepool against Derbyshire which begins on Tuesday should see them through to the semi finals. The other remaining game in this group is between Lancashire and Cheshire at Burnley on Thursday. The winners of this group have a home semi final against the winners of 2A, probably Northants but Warwickshire and Notts might question that.

In his posting on Thursday Brian rightly criticised the YCB for not providing details or indeed the existence of some fixtures. I have subsequently emailed them to complain and will let you know if I receive a reply. On my way home yesterday I called in at Whixley and took this photograph of their new pavilion which is nearing completion. It will gladden the heart of 'pavilion purists' to note it is in traditional wood and has home and away dressing rooms separated by a central tea room. In other words it is a cricket pavilion, not a community centre or village hall. Well done the cherry men.

No comments: