Saturday 25 May 2013

TRIP TO SOUTH YORKSHIRE

By Brian Sanderson,

As Ron Deaton was going to the Test Match this allowed me to take a trip to South Yorkshire.The first match I went to was Warmsworth against Bradfield in the South Yorkshire third Division.Jack Workman was playingand I last saw him at Carlton earlier in the week. Warmswoth ground is just off the A1 and you can hear the traffic from the ground.They have just been granted a £50,000 grant to improve the roof of the club house.

Warmsworth batted  first against a stuggling Bradfield side which are the bottom of the league.The weather was very sunny for a change which made any cricket ground looikng better.As I left Warmsworth looked like they would  score 250 which they did and bowled Brasfield for a low score.

Moving on to Conisborough who were playing Norton Oakes in the same league.I parked my car in the lane outside the ground but this caused the local residents to come out of their houses tell me I could not park here.The team has been at the present ground for over fifty years and people must realise when they buy houses near a ground people will park their cars near as possible to the ground.The ground has good views of the countryside and the clubhouse as just been recently rebuilt.

Moving towards I called into Wath upon Dearne who were playing Conisborough first team  who had scored 242.The playing field is a large area and very flat which is typical of ex mining club.

I called into Barnsley who were playing York in E.C.B Yorkshire Cricket League.There were two spectators I knew at the match which York won easily again.They are the best team in this league by a mile.The photograph above is of the ground at Shaw Lane.

Moving up the M1 I poped into Calder Grove who were beaten by Netherton in the Huddersfield Central League.The ground is dominated by the railway arches.There are another team that do well to keep going and are always at the bottom of the league.

The last match was at East Ardsley who were playing Birstall A. The ground is near the MI and has good views towards Wakefield.There was a number of car watching the match.

A interesting afternoon to some clubs I have not visited before.

No comments: