Sunday 3 June 2012

Four grounds in The Wetherby League

Over the past couple of seasons any plans I have made to visit grounds in The Wetherby League have been frustrated by bad weather but when I left home just before lunch yesterday the signs were encouraging: 15c and the sun trying to break through. My afternoon was to be spent at four grounds just a few miles apart at the southern edge of The Vale of York, beginning at the picturesque village of Ledsham lying just west of the A1 close to its junction with the Leeds to Selby road.
I note that the blog has had 18 hits already today which would suggest there are people out there seeking a jubilee free zone, if so look away now for Ledsham was bedecked with bunting and with a wedding at its ninth century church, the reception for which was to be held in the garden of the pub across the road, a garden from which I could hear the sound of bat on ball, this lovely village was indeed in festive mood.
The excitement continued at the cricket field where bunting was decorating the neat pavilion, opened in 2002, and inside jubilee teas were already being served. Despite just having had an excellent pint in The Chequers I could not resist a piece of cake and cup of tea, fortified by which for the second week running I risked ridicule by asking if it might be possible to acquire a league handbook. Some readers may be familiar with the splendid cartoons by H.M.Bateman, in particular his 'The Man Who' series where a mixture of hilarity and horror is created by men committing social gaffes, like asking for a double scotch in the pump room at Bath or betting in half guineas at the Tattersalls' blood stock sales. A more modern version is by Royston and depicts the man who bought a sofa not in a sale. Add one to this list, 'the man who asked for a league handbook in a cricket pavilion'. 'To look at ? ' was one reaction to which I replied that ideally it would become my property and that I might take it away with me for future reference and that I was even prepared to pay for it. These conditions, which although they clearly marked me down as eccentric,did elicit a thorough search of cupboards, shelves and bags but to no avail and things were just reaching the point when any lingering doubts as to my sanity would disappear when  I confessed that I would be moving onto another ground where I would try again, the opposition skipper unearthed one in his bag and pressed it into my hand at no charge.
Whilst all this was going the game, a Division Four match against Walton A (seconds to you and me) had begun with the visitors, having lost one very early wicket, making slow progress. One down became two thanks to a brilliant catch, which I missed because I was absorbed in my precious handbook but the reaction of the players on both sides told me that it was an exceptional dismissal and the victim was so shocked by his ill fortune that he had not reached the pavilion by the time the incoming batsman took guard. When he did climb the pavilion steps he was batless and gloveless, further evidence of how harshly he thought the day had treated him.
From Ledsham I drove the few miles to the village of Hillam where tucked away down Stocking Lane is the attractive home of Hillam and Monk Fryston CC, whose second team were entertaining local opposition in Church Fenton A in a Divsion 5 game. Here there is another new  pavilion, opened just last year in which there is a collection of old photographs dating back to the 1920s and showing the teams for matches between Hillam Hall and the Yorkshire Gentlemen. I got into conversation with the groundsman who lives in one of the houses on one side of the ground. He drew my attention to a bell which now hangs in the new pavilion but which was donated to the club circa 1926 and had previously hung on the old pavilion which still stands at the opposite end of the ground from the new construction. In the match Hillam were batting and had over 50 on the board without loss but despite this good start and contrary to what it says on the league's fiddly website this morning, Church Fenton were the winners.
Next stop, and again just a couple of miles up the road is South Milford and a second division game between South Milford and Old Leos from Leeds. The afternoon had turned noticeably colder and there was a hint of damp in the air and while I watched, a collapse started which from 106 for 2 led to the visitors being 147 all out and eventual defeat by 6 wickets.Some smart wicketkeeping including a legside stumping began the fall of wickets and there was a noticeable step up in the agility and commitment of fielders at this level.
Another short drive brought me to Church Fenton whose RAF station sometimes supplies meteorological information quoted on Look North. Church Fenton were relegated from Division 1 last season and have not found the going too easy at this level but three 'no results' have not helped and they were building a good position against Kippax when I arrived. Their 192 all out was 97 runs too good for the visitors, a result which moves them up to seventh out of twelve, two points behind Kippax.
The Wetherby League has lost some clubs in recent years including two to the Nidderdale League in 2010 and clubs in divisions four, five and six have blank weeks but I enjoyed my afternoon  particularly the attractive grounds at Ledsham and Hillam.

No comments: