Friday 26 April 2013

Shirt sleeve order (for a while)

posted by John Winn

Grand Central Trains and Boris Johnson combined to get me from York to The Oval in a little over two and a half hours on Wednesday in time to hear the call of play as Surrey took first knock against Sussex. Despite a queue at the gate I was able  to purchase a scorecard (50 pence), and take my seat as Rory Burns and Graeme Smith made their way to the middle and the early dismissal of the South African captain revealed a good knot of Sussex supporters to my left who were clearly delighted to see the back of him for 3. I was joined by my Sussex friends after about half an hour's play but the rest of the morning was pretty turgid stuff with Surrey unable to get the run rate above two an over. The early introduction of Panesar did at least help the over rate and 32 overs were bowled before lunch.

We were invited by the excellent pa to walk on the outfield in the interval, which I did and thought how many village clubs would be happy to have a square in such good condition. The day was pleasantly warm and after lunch, for the first time since last September, the blogger's pullover was removed. The tempo speeded up after lunch when Solanki joined Gary Wilson and they took the score to 181 for 2 at tea. Several times during the day we were reminded or warned, depending on your point of view, that Thursday was the annual school children's day and that something close to 5000 small people would be in the ground. Personally I congratulated myself on choosing the first day rather than the second for my visit.

Solanki was dismissed first ball after tea. He had batted beautifully for his 51 but I feel it is a matter of regret that he could have been tempted away from New Road after such long service to The Pears, who, judging by the first couple of matches, are going to struggle without him.

 By virtue of their Sussex membership my friends were able to access the pavilion bar and I benefited in the form of a pint of 'proper beer'. A fish and chip stall was doing good trade despite the £7:50 price tag or £3:00 for a portion of chips, a reminder that perhaps we are not 'all in this together'. The day turned cooler nearer tea and the pullover was restored but it was a pleasant afternoon for watching cricket with no threat of rain.

We were entertained by some lively and witty home supporters who were sitting behind us and they rejoiced when Wilson reached only his second first class century. If Graeme Smith has not yet hit the jackpot with the bat the new skipper can take some share of the praise for Wilson's success for Smith had pushed Wilson up the order when Harinath had been injured in the nets before play. Will he hold his place when Ponting comes?

 When I left at five Surrey were building a strong position at 240 for 3 but Sussex fought back to capture four more wickets by the close. You will probably be aware of yesterday's events which seem to have left the game well balanced and with some showers forecast for tomorrow it is hard to see either team achieving a win. The 6:30 East Coast service saw me into York a minute after 8:30 and unable to resist a little smugness that having booked my train tickets on February the first the day had turned out well and that I was now just 18 short of seeing the 153 games needed to complete the full set of my listed matches.

No comments: