Sunday 1 August 2010

Two Finals

Posted by Brian Sanderson,

The weather was fine but cloudy so I decided to go back to Pudsey Congs.The match to-day was Leeds Sikh against Mount in the Pool Paper Cup Final. Mount club is in Batley near the rugby league ground and is connected to Huddersfield University. One of the first people I saw was the founding member of Mount and who had spoken at Huddersfield. He told me he was just doing the under15 and was involved with Batley Cricket Club who were struggling.

Leeds Sikh batted first but struggled against the bowling losing wickets consistently.The crowd was not large but seemed to consist of a number of clubs.The score as I left was ninety for four in thirty overs. It is a forty over match.As I was leaving I noticed Geoff Cope, the ex Yorkshire and England spinner.

Moving on to Rawdon were Bilton were playing Burley in the Waddilow Cup Final.The first person I saw was Ken from Blackpool who was over for the day and would get back home at ten thirty tonight.Moving round the ground I sat next to Peter from Burley.Bilton were batting but had lost early wickets and were ninety for four wickets with fifteen overs to go.They reached one hundred and sixty-one all out in the last over.Not a huge total and I found out the major fast bowler for Bilton was not playing as he got injured yesterday.

Burley hit the first bowl for six and followed it up with a four . Good start for them.They progressed well with the help of three dropped catches.They won the match by six wickeys and overs to spare. It pleased Peter who is from Burley.

When I arrived home I found that Wrenthorpe had won the Heavy Woollen Cup by one hundred and ninety runs. Pleased I did not go to Hanging Heaton.

No comments: