Monday 30 August 2010

REVISITING MY YOUTH

Posted by Brian Sanderson,

This afternoon I set off with Ron Stansfield to Whitkirk to see them playing New Earwick in the York Senior Cricket League third Division.I had played on the pitch in the early 1960,s.There was a new club house with a bar ,scorebox and a mobile mast which were not there when I played.Speaking to a ex Whitkirk player the complex of cricket,football,bowls and tennis are now under one committee.

New Earwick batted first but soon lost wickets.We were joined by Tony Hutton as the wickets fell.When we left they were 80 for 6 with about twelve overs to go. I heard that the batting side mainly comprised of second team players.

Moving on to Colton were I played for about four years in the 1960,s. The match was a Under 17 Cup Final between Crossgates and Newton Hill.Crossgates were batting and were 80 for 4. Mick Bourne and Tony Hutton were also there.The young wicket keeper scored 50 to enable them to reach 155.

At tea time I had chance to see some of the old pictures of the Colton sides and talked to a son of one of the players I played with.Newton Hill started off very well and the opening partnership got to 80 . One of the openers scored 80 and Newton Hill won the match with about fifteen overs to spare.

Nice to go back to the old grounds after a number of years.

No comments: