Saturday 5 June 2010

Shelley Interlude

Monday 31 May

Posted by Peter Davies

Three-quarters of an hour at my local ground: Shelley. I arrived in mid-afternoon, looking forward to a couple of hours, but I was shocked by how suddenly the game reached its climax.

Shelley were playing Linthwaite. They made 127 and then bowled the visitors out for 68. Which means Linthwaite must have been on 65 for 9, or so, when I arrived because I literally saw about five minutes of play. I had a nice sit in front of the pavilion, a diet coke and a bag of crisps.

But, to be frank, I would have enjoyed a prolonged stay. Instead, the game finished and I sort of felt I should move on - to the local shop - rather than sit transfixed by absolutely nothing happening out in the middle.

I did meet a nice lady called Joan or Jean who was a Shelley tea lady of yesteryear but who had now returned to the fold and was now dispensing at least four varieties of sandwich every other Saturday. Nice lady who obviously felt at home at the club.

No comments: