Saturday 12 June 2010

Meeting my Plumber

Posted by Peter Davies

Friday 4 June

A day out with Professional Cricket Watcher David Thorpe. Junior cricket was on the agenda. First up, Pudsey St. Lawrence where West Yorkshire West - don't ask! - were in action.

It was a very hot and sunny day and the ground looked great. David immediately hooked up with a friend and I immediately sought out the kitchen, where I purchased two cups of tea and two cheese sandwiches - one with onion. David welcomed the drink but said he wasn't in the mood for food, so I had both!

I then took a stroll round the boundary edge, where I encountered West Yorkshire coach Dave Cooper - a Halifax-based teacher and a friend of the CK Project who spoke at the 2009 Pennine Cricket History Conference. He was looking very chilled out - bare feet, green shorts and t-shirt - and was encouraged by the performance of his boys.

Then, on the other side of the ground, Andrew Crookes, Huddersfield plumber and father of the WYW spin bowler and no.11 batsman. He was on good form, enjoying a day off from fridges and central heating systems, and wearing a floppy hat. To keep on good terms with my driver and plumber, I bought them both a cup of tea and we enjoyed the vantage point by the pavilion.

We then headed for New Farnley, where, it was rumoured, a batch of Professional Cricket Watchers were to be found. We weren't disappointed, although it took us a few attempts to find the hidden ground. Mick Bourne, Brian Sanderson and a female fan we often see at Arthington in October were in situ. It was teatime and the ground was pretty busy. I had a few sandwiches, sausage rolls and other salad accessories and David, Mick and Brian joined me. We then retired outside and I enjoyed one of my favourite pastimes: lying on the ground.

We then left, with David needing to get back for a junior game at Golcar.

No comments: