Tuesday 18 May 2010

Sunny afternoon

Posted by Peter Davies

Saturday 15 May

A Hopton Mills afternoon. Quite possibly, one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the area, located amid a large, rolling estate in Hopton, near Mirfield. Hopton is actually famous for many things, including another cricket club, Upper Hopton CC, and a gorgeous carvery me and my Dad frequent occasionally.

East Ardsley were the visitors today in the Central Yorkshire League. East Ardsley?Not a place I know at all. The sun was shining and the clubhouse was busy, as in fact was the ground in general, with many spectators enjoying the mid-afternoon weather.

I popped into the clubhouse and ordered a tea for me and my Dad - which we would share - plus two mugs of tea. This is the kind of regime I approve of: food available all day and punters can buy a tea whenever and don't have to wait until the tea interval of after.

So I helped myself to some delicious egg mayo sandwiches, some tuna and some ham. A few salad accessories too. Very nice indeed - in fact, more than enough for two of us to enjoy together. Dad went on a stroll round the ground, while I parked myself where I was and enjoyed the sunny afternoon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you have ever driven through J41 of the M1, the junction just south of the M62 turnoff, then you have driven through East Ardsley. The ground is only a few hundred yards off the motorway just before the petrol stn heading towards Bradford.
It has good views to the west but can be a bit blowy.