Wednesday 15 June 2022

A day at Trent Bridge

By Nickolas Spachis

(Nick Spachis is a very welcome guest writer to the blog. He has been an outstanding member of the Yorkshire Cricket Foundation's Reminiscing series on Zoom during lockdown and beyond, with a great sense of humour and a real enthusiasm for cricket at all levels.)   


Eighteen years ago, as part of a birthday present, I visited Trent Bridge on Sunday, to watch England v New Zealand. At the time it was the best day of cricket watching by a mile. I drove to Nottingham, and parked at the prepaid car park, without having paid for a ticket. The steward took pity on me and let me through without paying. The car was dwarfed next to the Bentleys and Range Rovers of those higher up on the food chain.

The Radcliffe Road End at Trent Bridge

Walked to the ground, picked up my ticket from the office, how things have changed since, and proceeded into the ground. My seat was at the end of the Radcliffe Road End stand in the middle tier. The view was spectacular, the fellow spectators very vocal, and those six lads from Leeds, that came down on a minibus, were a laugh a minute all day. God help you if they found out you were from Lancashire or of the female persuasion (how things have changed). Having said that the only thing the stewards pull them up on, was the start and control of the beer snake, which kept us amused all day long.

My memory of the match stats has faded over the years, so it's a good thing Google is available. The main thing of that day was the enjoyment of the match, the excellent bating, and the weather, warmer than the Caribbean. So the journey continues to the present day.

Ordered and received a ticket, printed it, and pinned it in my office, and it was was the first thing that I saw when I went into work, counting the days to the match, Sunday 12th June. My wife asked me what would make it the ideal day watching cricket, and my reply was more in anticipation than expectations in the following order:

1. Good weather

2. Excellent cricket.

3. And see Joe Root bat.

Well, I could not have planned it any better. I decided to drive to Nottingham, which meant that I was restricted on my alcohol content, which is a good thing as I didn't miss a moment of an extraordinary day's cricket. The weather was great, temperatures in the high 70s and my umpire's hat came in very handy against the scorching sun. My decision to wear shorts was vindicated, but also I managed to work on my tan.

My seat, row D seat number 119 at the East Stand of the Radcliffe Road End, could not have been any better, close to the action, and surrounded by some characters. A couple from Birmingham, who worked and lived in Bradford and Leeds, members of Warwickshire. A chap from Holmfirth, with his German friend in tow attending his 2nd Test Match, always ready with questions, especially trying to understand Leg Byes and Silly Mid-on.

A couple of chaps from Newcastle; spent all day talking about Newcastle United football club, bemoaning their lack of trophies over the years. Also six New Zealand fans were sat in the front row, and I bet they wished they hadn't. The ribbing was relentless especially when Root was hitting it to all corners. To be fair to them, they gave as well as they got. Found my seat, settled down and play was called.

Joe Root

I was there to see Joe Root, and if truth was to be told, I was fearful that he might be out early doors, missing the opportunity to see the master bat. Well, he did not disappoint. His cover drive early on just set the tone. It's not his ability to hit the ball that I admire, but the way he hits the right ball, and always knows where his off stump is. In my mind he is the best player I have ever seen live, surpassing Petersen's knock at Headingley against the South Africans.

The day got hotter, the drinks were flowing all round me and I couldn't believe my luck. Test cricket does not get any better than this. You can keep your bish, bash, bosh of 20/20 or indeed the 100. I am writing this as I am listening to the conclusion of the Test Match, with England and especially Jonny Bairstow seeing them to a famous series win. I must admit that I was sceptical about England's ability to win Test Matches, but I am happy to be proven wrong.

Memories do not get any better than this, to some sitting watching a match of cricket is sheer madness, but not for me.  I am only sad that I wasn't there to witness the win, but one day watching Joe Root bat was a lot more than I could have wished.

I must say a few words about Trent Bridge; it is a fantastic venue to watch cricket, and God willing I will go again soon.



No comments: