Wednesday 4 May 2022

The Courant draws in its horns.

 On May 3rd 2019 I posted a piece under the title of 'The Hexham Courant' the title of a newspaper which three years on still claims it is 'Northumberland's Leading Weekly Newspaper'. I purchased a copy again today whilst in Northallerton but was disappointed to find its cricket coverage much reduced from 2019 when there were two and a half pages of news covering the Northumberland and Tyneside league and the West Tyne league. Last week's edition, it comes out on Thursdays, covered only the latter and that confined to less than half a page. Rugby Union, Football and Golf all occupied more space. The biggest splash went on a football match which ended Wallington 14 Percy Main 0.


Sports Correspondent Peter Burgon gave an account of the first weekend's matches in the West Tyne Senior Cricket league where champions Stamfordham began with a comfortable home win over Newton who mustered only 44, a target reached in just over 13 overs. The league was founded in 1904 and maintains two divisions with twelve teams in division two and ten in division two, gratifyingly the same as pre-pandemic. Haltwhistle head both divisions, pleasing for me as my Great Uncle Albert was station master there in the early twentieth century. He was not as far as I know a cricketer. Another name that catches the eye is Riding Mill, birthplace of Tom Graveney. They have only one team and after two matches are fifth in the top section. 

Since my last posting I have spent two contrasting days at Headingley. Thursday last was bitterly cold and like Tony I made an early exit but I was back on Friday to enjoy the heat and the batting of Malan and Brook and, fortified by a couple of pints of Rudgate Bitter, that evening I was foolish enough to predict that at some point this season England's three, four and five will be a combination of these two and Root (J). 

On Saturday I met up with friends for brunch in Harrogate then journeyed to St George's Road for 'Gates opening match of the season against champions Castleford. I watched the Harrogate innings and their total of 190 seemed to give them a chance of victory. Alas this was not to be as Castleford won by five wickets with time to spare. Another defeat on Monday leaves Harrogate bottom and on Saturday they will travel to Sessay anxious to get some points on the board. 

No comments: