Tuesday 6 July 2021

Craven Country

 posted by John Winn

                                                                                 
                                                                         Dumbleton CC 

An early departure from the Lower Ure Valley on Saturday took me to the village of Dumbleton in Gloucestershire by mid morning and to the ground of Dumbleton CC. I have mentioned on many occasions the books of Nico Craven, an author recommended to me by Tony several years ago and I had chosen  to visit four of his favourite grounds described in his book Cotswold Country Cousins. Nico was not the only source of information to shape my day's entertainment for my good friend and fellow villager John Gawthrope had also waxed lyrical about Dumbleton. 

Although my journey had been accompanied by rain much of the way by the time I arrived in Gloucestershire the morning was hot and sunny but with a forecast of heavy showers later. On my arrival I was greeted by a member of the ground staff and invited to take coffee with him and his colleagues which we enjoyed on the verandah of their wonderful pavilion.  The wicket and outfield were ready for that afternoon's Gloucestershire league Div 4 match between Dumbleton II and Chipping Sodbury II, with wickets to be pitched at 12:30 so that the game could be completed in time for the players to watch 'the football' on the big screen in the pavilion.

Over coffee the grounds supervisor filled me in some of the details of the club and it became clear that they are a very progressive club running teams for men, women, boys and girls and with their eyes set on converting part of a neighbouring field into another ground. After a stroll round the lovely village I watched an hour's play in which the visitors made only 19 for 4, an hour that included several wides, two outstanding bits of fielding and just a touch of petulance. After I had gone Chipping Sodbury recovered thanks to a ninth wicket stand of 75 but after DCC had made a good start in reply the game was washed out. 

                                                                         

Next stop Birdlip and some tricky roadworks to negotiate on the twenty or so mile journey and after discovering that Birdlip and Brimpsfield CC is in Birdlip not Brimpsfield I reached the ground to find the home team batting and opponents Cheltenham Civil Service II in the field. Birdlip is the home village of David Partridge who played for Gloucestershire in the 70s and they made good progress while I watched. An opening stand of 100 set them well on the way to a score of 220 for 4 but which proved not enough with CCS getting home with overs and wickets to spare. Birdlip has not the charm of Dumbleton, few places have, but at 290 meters above sea level it lays claim to be the highest ground in the south of England. 


Birdlip and Brimpsfield CC

The grounds came thick and fast now and still in 'Glos Four' I had only to ask the way once to find Cranham CC, another ground with lofty ambitions, only about ten meters lower than B and B and where a decent crowd had gathered for what proved a very exciting match with Cheltenham III. I saw the last ten overs of Cranham's innings which was boosted to 177 for 9 by an unbeaten tenth wicket stand of 32 which proved crucial as Cheltenham fell just two short. 



My last game of the day took me to perhaps Nico Craven's favourite ground, that of Sheepscombe, a short but incredibly scenic journey on single track roads and a precipitous climb up an unmade road behind the Butcher's Arms. Once there I sat on a bench dedicated to author Laurie Lee and wondered at the resolve of those who decided cricket could be played on such a ground and asked myself how did they get roller, mower and other ground equipment to such a spot. Opponents here were Dymock who had mustered 218 for 9 and Sheepscombe were making steady progress in reply but fell just two short when their forty overs were up.

From Sheepscombe I drove through Slough to my overnight stop south of Bristol delighted at the way the afternoon had panned out and that the rain had come too late to spoil my plans. In 'Country Cousins' Nico describes seventeen grounds, sadly not all still in use but certainly enough to justify another visit. If you are in those parts looking for cricket and only have time for two grounds don't miss Dumbleton and Sheepscombe. Wonderful. 




Sheepscombe CC, between Stroud and Gloucester

No comments: