Monday 24 May 2021

Heavy Bails and Bailing Out at Nevil Road

 posted by John Winn


At 10:55 last Thursday as the umpires and players appeared on the balcony of the pavilion at the County Ground, Bristol for the first time in 602 days, a few spots of rain arrived to greet them. Umpire Baldwin held out his hand to check the intensity of the rain and at that moment I thought that the one ball I needed to tick off Gloucestershire v Somerset might not be bowled. Fortunately the rain was not that heavy and the officials, closely followed by the Gloucestershire fielders and the Somerset openers, took the field to rapturous applause, so closely that by the time 'play' was called the large digital clock on the pavilion showed only 10:58. 

Cross County trains had transported me suitably socially distanced from York to Bristol on Wednesday and on Thursday morning a 73 bus took me from the city centre to the ground in time to see the players warming up, the pitch being rolled and some blue sky over the Bristol Channel, the last of which suggested that the weather forecast I had seen that morning on Points West was accurate and that we might get a decent amount of play. Very strong winds sent the clouds scudding along and one presumed Messrs Baldwin and O'Shaugnessy would be carrying heavy bails. 

The openers were soon parted when  a smart piece of fielding by Ian Cockbain, whose throw hit the only stump on offer, sent Lammonby on his way. Enter skipper Able who was still there on 132 when the innings was declared closed at 300 for 8, by which time I was watching Ouseburn v West Tanfield in the Nidderdale league having spent a night in my own bed. Gloucestershire skipper Dent had sent in Somerset into bat and conditions were right for his seam attack. Byrom and Able weathered the opening overs before bad light sent the players off the field just after noon. Planning restrictions apply to the floodlights at Nevil Road so they were not in use but the delay was a short one until rain arrived at 12:30, after 20 overs and 2 balls. 

Time to seek shelter and chat with a couple of home supporters one of whom had travelled from Gloucester which seemed to surprise the other, very much a Bristol man, and a man who took a pace backwards when I said I had travelled from York. Sensing he already thought I was slightly crackers I did not try to explain the reason for my journey. After an hour of watching it rain which included a fruitless search for a scorecard,'gone digital' I was told, I decided to return to my hotel close to Bristol Cathedral in the knowledge that I could get back to the ground in half an hour in the unlikely event of more play. At four o'clock play was called off for the day and with Friday's forecast including gales and almost constant rain I. decided to cash in my chips and return to York as soon as possible. Thus it was that I caught the 10:33 from Brunel's historic Temple Meads station next morning arriving in York a minute before 14:30. 

Had I not seen any play, and under my rules just one ball counts, this posting could have been devoted to a litany of grumbles about Gloucestershire CCC but a refund for lost time already paid into my bank account has softened the blow. Play did resume of course and had I been prepared to extend my stay to include Saturday I would have seen almost a full day's play. But ifs and ands butter no parsnips and friends with whom I have been in contact and who understand my 'mission' seem genuinely pleased that I saw any cricket at all. They can stop reading now for they know only too well that to see every county play every other county in championship cricket entails 153 matches and that Gloucestershire v Somerset was 152 on the list. Just one to go, Somerset v Leicestershire at the beginning of July and tickets and accommodation are booked. Here's opening for better weather. 


A nice idea and handy when it rains