Tuesday 23 February 2021

Contrasting Matches

 posted by John Winn

Sifting through my scorecards for the period 1951to 1990 before returning them to the loft I lighted upon a couple of contrasting matches from a week in August 1990. One, my first roses', match sticks fairly clearly in my mind. The other, two days later, a second XI match, I had completely forgotten. The roses match was played at Old Trafford between the 18th and 21st and although much interfered with by rain produced an exciting finish. 

On winning the toss Lancashire's formidable batting built up a strong position on the first day, reaching 417 for 8 by stumps. Centuries for Atherton and Watkinson, 99 for Fairbrother and wickets for Carrick being the highlights. The second day was washed out and when I made my appearance on the third day, a Monday, patience had to be exercised before I saw any cricket. Lancs added just 16 to their overnight score before striking early to remove Metcalfe for 5 followed shortly by Sharp who retired hurt, his thumb broken by a ball from Wasim Akram. Enter Phil Robinson to join Moxon and it was almost close of play before the two were separated when the former fell to Watkinson who had an outstanding match. 190 for 3 at stumps prompted Moxon to deny himself the chance of a century and declare at the overnight score.

Lancashire threw down the gauntlet on the fourth morning and added 73 for the loss of Akram, sent in to open, with Fowler helping himself to 50 not out. Metcalfe 5.4 overs 0 for 44 suggests where most of them came from. The occasional bowler redeemed himself in an opening stand of 77 with Moxon as Yorkshire set about a target of 317 off 95 overs for victory. Robinson and Blakey went cheaply and despite some resistance from Byas and Carrick the red rose closed in on victory. Cometh the hour, cometh the man with the broken thumb, for Sharp emerged at the fall of the eighth wicket and when Jarvis was ninth out Batty joined Sharp to see out the last 32 deliveries to draw the match. Five wickets for Watkinson and three for Atherton.



 Watkinson and Atherton share a joke

I did not return to Manchester from my Peak District base on the last day of the match. By this time I had got the bit between my teeth in my quest to see every county play every other county and I took the opportunity to make my first appearance at Derby where Middlesex were the visitors. On a pitch deemed 'clearly unfit for first class cricket' Middlesex, set 271 to win, saw their championship colours lowered for the first time that season when they were bowled out for 99, to lose by 171 runs. The highlight of the match, which true to form I missed, was a century by Gatting on the second day but which did not prevent Derbyshire being deducted 25 points.

The second XI match that I referred to in my opening paragraph was I suspect an interlude on my journey home to Sussex. It took place at the Worthington Simpson Ground at Balderton near Newark with Notts II hosting Leicestershire II in a three day game. Notts played 22 second XI championship games here between 1973 and 1993. I have but the vaguest memories of watching Notts bat on the opening day but the scorecard lists some familiar names, Pollard, Newell, Johnson, the Saxelby brothers and Chris Scott who joined Durham two years later as first choice keeper. Les Taylor took wickets for The Foxes and other names that might chime include Ferris, Whitticase and Cobb. The match was drawn thanks in the main to stubborn work from Martyn Gidley and Les Taylor who held Notts at bay when nine wickets were down.

Cricket Archive has no record of matches played on this ground after 2001. The last match was between Balderton CC and Welbeck Colliery CC in the Nottinghamshire Premier League. Looking up Balderton CC now shows them playing at Coronation Street New Balderton,I suspect this is not the same ground and that pump manufacturers Worthington Simpson are no more. 

No comments: