Saturday 25 July 2020

Trip round North Leeds

By Brian Sanderson

I decided to stay local today and started off at St. Chads who were
playing Leeds Modernians  . The home side batted first and were 
struggling at 59 for 6 with the help of a very bad LBW decision.
However it was great to see two umpires at the third division 
level. One of the reason I called in was to give them a sheet of
paper showing results for the 1898 season. I understand rhey
played on Becketts Park and did not move to the present ground 
till 1922. I found out later ST.Chads reached 194 but still lost 
by 6 wickets.

Moving on to New Rover who were playing Pool who was fielding.
While there wasv a break I noticed that John Goldthorpe was still
wicket keeping. I played with him over thity years ago. The home 
side were bowled for 65 and lost by 4 wickets.

Next match was  Adel who were playing Beckwithshaw with
the home side been bowled for 90 on a every uneven wicket.
It was good to see the club had come ut of the lockdown with four 
teams still playing. The third team were playing Mayfield in 
the Dales Council League and they lost their match by 8 wickets.

Moving on Leeds Modernians Seconds who were playing St Chads
seconds. When I arrived the home side were bowled out for 27.
So I quick match finish. This was sixth division.

Moving on Horsforth Seconds who had scored 206 in the 45 overs 
against Bardsey seconds who were bowled out for 140.
I arrived at break time as there is no teas supplied in the new era.
I used to look forward to a great cricket tea.

Moving on to my last match was Kirkstall Education Seconds against 
Addingham .Another great wicket with the away side scoring 279.
When I left it looked the home side would win on 134 for 2 but that 
was not the case and lost by four runs.

Great to see some old friends and a mixture of cricket.

No comments: