Sunday 23 September 2018

Last lap for County Season

posted by John Winn

I must begin by thanking Tony for his kind words following my elevation to 45th in the 'stars' of Yorkshire Cricket in 2018 but any praise should at least be equally shared with my fellow blogger for he has contributed just as much, if not more, than me over the last year. To some 45th might look a bit like 'just crept in' but given that it puts me above Lisa Pearson who represents Todmorden Cricket Club's Red Brick Tea Room it is praise indeed.

Like Tony I was at Headingley yesterday but having waited until I was sure play would start on time I arrived just as Great Ayton's third wicket fell with the score at 23 and it was already beginning to look like an early finish. One can't help wondering why Great Ayton chose to bat on a wicket on which almost 200 overs had been bowled earlier in the week and which had been under cover for almost 48 hours and against an  attack which included Josh Shaw who ten days earlier had bowled creditably in the county championship. After last years' exciting final which Thornes lost only through their slow over rate yesterday served up pretty poor fare on a chilly afternoon and one where I was finally forced into the warmth of the long room, not just to avoid the cold but also the raucous band of Great Ayton supporters who served to remind me why I don't attend T20 Blast games.

Tomorrow sees the start of the last round of championship matches and I shall be at The Riverside in the hope that I will be present to applaud 'Colly' when he leaves the field for the last time. Given Durham's dismal showing against Leicestershire last week that means I will be there for wickets pitched tomorrow. The forecast is for better weather than last week but there are few issues that are not already settled and one wonders which match Sky will chose to cover. Warwickshire v Kent would be my choice for although both are certain of Division 1 cricket next season they are equal on points and Kent have most wins which would be the decider in the event that they tie on points.

Who goes down is still mathematically alive but Yorkshire need only two points from their trip to New Road and given that they have the right to ask Worcestershire to bat some decent bowling may mean those two points are in the bag early doors. Those who follow Tony on Twitter may have seen a posting he made yesterday in which he expressed his hope that Lancs will get maximum points against Hants and Somerset 'thrash player grabbing Notts' to such an extent that Notts go down. He has my full support in this but I'm not holding my breath.

I have no idea who first said that revenge is a dish best served cold but it is a wise maxim and whilst revenge is perhaps not quite the most appropriate word in this context I shall wait a few days until I express my feelings on Notts' apparently shameless recruitment policy. Suffice to say at the moment they have moved above Hants in my disaffections.



No comments: