Wednesday 22 August 2018

Wandering in Warwickshire Part Two

posted by John Winn

Kineton marked the southernmost point of my journey into The Cotswold Hills League and for my fourth new ground of the day I headed a few miles up the B4086 to Wellesbourne, population almost 6000 and to a Premier Division game between Wellesbourne and Alcester and Ragley. It was coming up to tea time here the arrival of which was accelerated by the swift demise of Wellesbourne's tail. I was welcomed by a group of experienced spectators, surprised perhaps to find someone had travelled from York to visit their large ground. I explained as briefly as possible that there was more to my visit than this match but despite their reasonable suspicion that I was bonkers I was offered a cup of tea and a handbook and made to feel very welcome.

Wellesbourne had been bowled out for 166, disappointing by their standards my new friends told me, for Wellesbourne, champions in 2016 and 17, are top again and anxious to make it three in a row. I complimented the spectators on the size of the crowd, 'worst of the season' I was told, football and holidays to be blamed. Two things that should not be allowed in the cricket season was my reply. The Alcester openers looked in reasonable shape when their reply began but they finished fourteen short with Wellesbourne's  only serious rivals Lapworth just seven points behind in a league where there are twenty points for a win. Just two weeks to go and they will be able to play football or go on holiday.

The 'smallest crowd of the season' enjoys a close game at Wellesbourne.

From Wellesbourne it is but a few minutes drive to Norton Lindsey where the visitors were Overbury and whose accents identified their Gloucestershire origins. Premier Division again with Overbury leaders of the pack trailing Wellesbourne and Lapworth, Norton Lindsey towards the bottom. The homesters had begun their reply to Overbury's 230 for 6, and the few spectators gathered by a most attractive pavilion grew increasingly gloomy as had the evening, and when I left a little after six there were six back in the shed. 115 all out means they only got halfway to Overbury's total. 


Norton Lindsey CC

So ended my day's groundhopping in Warwickshire and I drove back to Birmingham where I spent the night before reporting to Edgbaston early on Sunday morning. Despite thick cloud, with the aid of the lights play started on time as I settled into the Bob Wyatt Stand while those around me discussed the prospects for The Villa, The Baggies and The Bluenoses. The day was made memorable by a spectacular Gloucestershire collapse after lunch and as I am sure most of you know, Warwickshire went on to a massive win. With the 150th of the 153 ticked off I left at tea and  found my way back to the M42 and was home by 6:30, very pleased with my two days away. Up early yesterday morning to travel to Scarborough, more of that anon. 


Not The Cotswold Hills League.


No comments: