Saturday 3 January 2015

CATCH OF THE SEASON 2015

By Brian Sanderson,


Looking out of the window at 11.30 this morning ,I thought the cricket match at St. Chads for the charity for Sue Ryder Wheatfields would not start. However the rain stopped and I went up  to the ground which is just off  the main road to Otley  from Leeds. It is  a club who boasts 130 years of history.

The match was 18 overs match against a Presidents X1 and Chairmens X1. The team in blue batted first in front of a good crowd. which included Ian from Lancaster.The ground was damp but on the artificial pitch the conditions were not bad for January in Leeds.

The President time score 81 and then was time for a excellent lunch in the  pavilion.. The cake was especially good. So after a forty-five minute break the match started again in weak sunshine. One special player in the second half was Greg Mulholland , the MP for Leeds North West who shown his bowling skills. However the the highlight of the second innings was Steve Bindman caught and bowled . Unfortunately I was unable to photograph it but  it is the top catch of 2015 so far. It came down to the Chairmans X1 requiring 8 of three balls which was obtained on the last ball. Excellent match to start 2015 year  season and let us hope the match can become annual event as everybody seem to enjoy it.

2 comments:

Steve Bindman said...

Actually it was 20 5-ball overs in the end with a heavy penalty of 3 runs for a wide or no ball and a maximum of 6 balls ion an over if there was one or more wide or no ball.
I thought after my catch that I (with the hope of a wicket maiden) and my team bound for glory as I followed it with 3 dot balls and our opposition - who were the St Chad's regulars - needed 16 off 1 over and 1 ball still to win. But I erred by trying too hard and bowled a wide and then another wide and the target was now only 10 off the last over. It was a great little match and a lot of fun.

Steve Bindman said...

I don't know why you refer to Greg Mulholland as a special player - unless we are all special ! I don't see that being an MP or whatever makes one special on the field....
He played ok though his bowling to my mind disappointed. On the subject of MPs, Peter Bone - the far-right tory - played many times for the Leeds friendly side, Cambridge Methodists. In contradistinction to his politics, he was an extremely useful left-arm slow, slow medium bowler. I played with him many times and got on well with him despite being at the other end of the political spectrum. I was umpiring and controversially (but I still think correctly) gave Richard Umbers of Almondbury Casuals out LBW on hat-trick ball in a match at Sandoz.