Friday 26 December 2014

CRICKET ROUND THE WORLD

By Brian Sanderson

Christmas day comes alive for me when I can settle down to watch some Test cricket. The first match at 10 P.M was New Zealand against Sri Lanka on a new Test ground.This was the Hagley  Oval in Canterbury which seemed a beautiful ground with grass mounds that people could watch the match. On the first ball Lamal fell over on the green pitch.This was followed by Eranga falling over on his first ball causing a ten minute break for the ground staff to try and solve the problem.I was able to see Kane Williamson for a few overs before watching the Australian Test match against Pakistan in Melbourne.

I thought I would have the pleasure of watching Warner scoring quick runs but he was soon out caught by a good slip catch  by Dhawan of Yadav. So I was left to watch Chris Rogers ex Middlesex and Shane Watson. By 12.30 I had enough and went to bed.

Boxing Day these days is Northern Cricket Society against North Leeds . After picking my sister up ,I found North Leeds struggling.
The photograph shows the score when we arrived in a twenty over match. However I had the pleasure then to watch Rob Winter for North Leeds score 98 not out in a total of 144.It would have been fit for him to score a century.

At the end of the first innings I had to leave to go home for Boxing Day lunch.After which I watched the first day of South Africa against the West Indies at Port Elizabeth which had also grass mounds for the spectators.I watched Dean Elgar score his highest Test score of 121.Looking at his career it follows the path of a lot of South Africans  ie Gloucestershire Seconds, Nottinghamshire Seconds and Somerset.

The photograph at the beginning of the blog is Boxing Day Cup together we a good bottle of whisky to warm people up.

Next match is 3 January at St. Chads , Otley Road on the 3 January at 12.00 for charity . Please come along.



No comments: