Wednesday 14 November 2012

More swings and roundabouts

In my last posting I made brief reference to distressing events in the course of last season's Dales Council cricket which had brought about the resignation of Rodley CC and their acceptance into The Central Yorkshire League for 2013. Looking again at The Dales Council website shows that losing one club was not the end of the affair. For at their AGM last week the league expelled two clubs 'following unsavoury incidents both on and off the field during the 2012 season.' The two clubs concerned are Apperley Bridge and Hyde Park, both of whose members were involved in the events that led to Rodley's mid season withdrawal.

In addition to these losses the league is also saying good bye to three other clubs, Meanwood who have been accepted into The Wetherby League, Hawksworth, who as Arthington II and as mentioned in a previous blog will join The Nidderdale league and finally Tong Manor who in future  will play only friendly matches. All of this is sad reading for the league cricket enthusiast but there is some good news for The Dales Council in that they will welcome Roundhay subject to a ground share with Halifax Direct. Should this be agreed it will leave the league with 33 teams probably in three divisions.

My research into former leagues continues to prove both interesting and fruitful. I have contacted a number of people via email who have been very helpful but  rather more old fashioned technology has opened up two interesting leads. Returning from Middleham last week I went via Constable Burton whose village club folded in the 1970s and on a notice board outside the village reading room I pinned up a notice inviting people with information about the club to contact me by email or phone.Within a couple of days I was forwarded two photographs of the village team from the 1930s and 1950s and a telephone number by which I could contact a gentleman who has information about Constable Burton CC and the history of The Wensleydale League. I have now spoken to this person and will be visiting him in due course. In addition I placed a small notice in The Upper Wensleydale Newsletter for November and this too has provoked a response and I have arranged a meeting for this Saturday as a follow up. Two shots in the dark that appear to have hit the target!

No comments: